Cravings collide at Club Rush

Lucy Livingston serves pizza to support STEM Club. Photo by Kaylee Guerra

Bruins ate up all the clubs on campus last Wednesday.

September 7 was the annual Bear River Club Rush, a day when students get a chance to see all the clubs offered on campus. To drive student interest, many clubs sell all sorts of tempting treats. Student Activities Director Matt MacDonald said the food serves a larger purpose.

“The main thing is we wanted to created a way for people to be exposed to the clubs on campus,” MacDonald said. “We added the food because it is fun and provides a way for them to make money.”

From In-N-Out all the way to Krispy Creme, Club Rush used food to receive massive exposure. With a plethora of clubs, many took up this opportunity to sell food and meet possible members.

“We are selling Jamba Juice. (We are) excited to promote our club and get more members,” said Sarah Brennan, a senior who also serves as Leo Club President. 

Several clubs used the event to share political statements and opinions in light of present day events.

“GSA is selling ring pops,” said Kaylee Guerra, a senior and Gay-Straight Alliance President. “We started this tradition last year in celebration of the legalization of gay marriage.”

Another club with a statement included the new Native American Club, who received a lot of attention for their “Water is Life” sign. The sign was created to save the water in a local Native American spiritual land reserve.

“The Native America Club was established to give the students of Bear River a chance to reach out to the Native American culture,” said Katelyn Meylor, a junior and the President/Founder of the Native American Club.

The Native American Club isn’t the only new club to surface on the Bear River Campus. Junior Natalie Hubacz was eager to get the word out about the new Hiking. 

“We are selling ice cream and trail mix,” said Hubacz, the club’s President/Founder. “My goal is to bring an educational awareness around the Sierra Foothills for physical exercise.”

The Club Rush included stands for individual class exposure. The sophomore class splurged on In-N-Out, a popular offering in the annual event. The juniors sold popcorn and lemonade, while the seniors dished out ice cream sandwiches.

“(The) junior class is raising money to provide for a great senior year for the class of 2018,” said Junior Class Treasurer Kayla Tofts.