Music Boosters jazzed for upcoming fundraisers

The Music Boosters Program organizes a variety of fundraisers, including the funnel cake booth. Photo by Kalei Owen

From Starlite Express Show Choir to Jazz Band, Bear River’s music program is challenged with a large bill every year. Bear River’s Music Booster Program has been working tirelessly to organize fundraisers to assist choir and band students with their substantial expenses for the past few years. 

David Ahrens, Bear River’s Band and Choir Teacher, explained what the music boosters are.

“The music boosters are … [a] nonprofit organization, made up primarily of parents of band and choir students, but it doesn’t have to be,” he said. “It’s a community service group that primarily fundraises to provide finances for the band and choir.”

Sophomore and Starlite member Connor McGehee commented on what these fundraisers are like.

“The fundraisers that we do can range from individual to group fundraiser related things,” he said. “Generally, it’s for trips, or costuming, or just the department … because the department actually has a lot of expenses that people don’t know about.”

Mr. Ahrens provided some more specific examples of events the boosters arrange.

“There’s been a number of things over the years,” he said. “ … The big one is the concert series working concession booth for the concert series at the Toyota Amphitheater, where we are able to get a percentage of all the sales that they make, and a hundred percent of the tips from their customers at the concerts … They also do the funnel cake booth at the football games, and they are looking into expanding that into other things as well.”

So, how can supportive community members contribute to the Boosters and to the music program at Bear River in general? Several musically inclined Bruins shared their thoughts on the matter.

“Coming to our concerts when we advertise them and helping out with fundraisers when they come around [would be helpful],” said Ben Overmire, a junior.

“The Bear River Community is all about sports, and it seems like choir isn’t all that important anymore to some people,” said Jaycee Andersen, a fellow junior. “I think people need to consider all the work we put into our music and how dedicated we are. They just need to support us in general, and give us respect.”

Connor Ronka, a junior in Jazz and Symphonic Band, explained why this money is so crucial to the program.

“We fundraise for band trips that we go on,” he said. “ … We have to pay for the hotels, and the transportation, and the food. So these fundraisers help us get the money to do that. It also helps us eventually prepare our instruments.”

Choir, Band, and Starlite students also explained what they are hoping to accomplish this year with the assistance of the opportunities this financial aid provides them.

“My goal for the year is to expand my vocal range, because that would be really beneficial,” said Andersen.

Others had similar goals as well.

“[I want to] improve myself to be the best I can be,” said Overmire.

“[I just want] to get a lot better at playing,” said Ronka.

Mr. Ahrens emphasized how much the boosters and everyone who helps with the program are appreciated.

“If the boosters weren’t there, we would have to completely take back the level of activity that we are doing,” he said. “Travel would be nonexistent … We are very thankful for the parents who gave up their time who volunteer to do that and the booster board specifically, and also the parents that help out with the various fundraisers, because they make this all happen.”

— Annabelle Owyoung contributed to this story.