Editorial: High school etiquette check

Students leave their classes in the G-Wing in masse. Photo by Josh Howser

For some high school students it may be time to grow up.

We at the Current have observed numerous amounts of rude and immature actions by Bear River students. Occurrences include littering the campus, sprinting to the lunchroom with a complete disregard for others, cutting in cafeteria lines and filling the halls with clumps of people like packs of  wild animals.

Some may be tempted to immediately point to freshmen but, according to staff, freshmen aren’t always as big of a problem as some might believe.

“I feel that the younger students are afraid to speak up — to tell on people, at least for cutting,” said Silvia Ramirez, a campus supervisor. “(Some) upper classmen think they can get away with it.”

Neither Ms. Ramirez and Paul Mont Eton, operations manager, expressed any strong feelings about the students littering.

“Not yet,” Mont Eton said. “It hasn’t been a big issue yet. … It’s two percent of the people making 90 percent of the mess.”

Ms. Ramirez also explained that, since she started, the school has improved a lot when it comes to littering problem.

“When I started 20 years ago, this place looked like a dump,” said Ms. Ramirez.

Finally we spoke with Assistant Principal Ms. Cathy Peterson about student behavioral issues that she has observed during her time here. We spoke about every issue: littering, running in the halls, cutting in cafeteria lines and standing around in clumps.

“I think the littering has gotten better every year since I’ve been here,” she said. “It used to take three men 45 minutes (to clean it up.) Now it takes one guy 15 minutes.”

We even discussed dress code and her opinion seemed pretty straightforward.

“Dress code is all about safety,” said Ms. Peterson. “This is a workplace.”

All officials who were interviewed said the Current’s observations are not actual big problems, just temporary annoyances. That may be up for debate.