Bruins football team defeated in a close game with Colfax

Colton Jenkins, Tre Maronic, and Dylan Scott show off last year’s playoff rings. Photo by Kalei Owen

Trailing into overtime, the Bear River Bruins unfortunately lost to the Colfax Falcons in the CIF SJS Division V Championship game on November 30, ending with a final score of 31:28.

Crushed by a false victory due to a penalty being called on their winning touchdown, the loss struck the players hard.

“I felt like a winner, proud and excited,” said Senior Sam Davis. “I was happy I was going to be able to play another week in football. It’s different to just right out lose the game, but when you get the game taken away from you, it hurts a little bit more.”

Senior Zane Beaton agreed with Davis.

“It’s a bad feeling to feel like a winner and having a man in a white shirt rip it all away from you,” said Beaton. “There were at least 15 of us in the parking lot for an hour just crying.”

Head Coach Scott Savoie recounted his feelings towards the loss.

“For the short period in which we thought the game was over and we thought we won, it’s hard to put that into words,” said Coach Savoie. “We have been lucky enough to win two of these games over the past five years, and it’s such a magical moment … Our kids work all year long to get a chance at being in that situation. Of the 170 plus schools in our section, only 6 got that feeling and it’s awesome. Unfortunately, things didn’t work out and there was a penalty on the play.  Of course we were disappointed, but we had another play to get ready for. In the end, we had a great run and tried to remind our players of that.”

After their loss, the team reflected on what they believe could be improved to progress further into the season.

“If we knew where to line up, we might have actually won,” said Beaton.

“If we went the extra mile instead of giving up before the play was over,” said Davis. “There were times where some of us thought the play was over. If we played a little more, we could have broken it down and gotten the extra 5 yards.”

“As a team, … we didn’t come out as hard as we needed to,” said Junior Erik Lacoss. “We just kind of let up.”

Savoie shared his thoughts about the outcome of the game.

“That game had so many twists and turns, ups and downs,” he said. “It was a true roller coaster ride and [I am] proud to have been part of it. [I’m] so proud of how our team represented and battled.”

Even thought they lost the game, the players agreed that it was a thrilling game.

“It was a fun game,” said Senior Alex Dewson.

“It was a great game,” said Davis. “Probably one of the best games I have played in in eight years.”

Others felt similarly.

“The game went really well and we played really well, but it just didn’t go in our favor,” said Lacoss.

“I definitely think it was the best game I’ve played in,” said Beaton.

The team reflected on their favorite memories about playing football – both in and out of school.

“Just going out and playing football with my family,” said Davis.

“When Colfax went running towards us, and Calder (Kunde) and I waved them towards us,” said Lacoss.

Coach Savoie shared how he felt the playoff run went.

“The thing I love is how our teams have battled in the playoffs,” said Coach Savoie. “We have played our best football in that ‘do or die’ atmosphere. I think our players expect to be there and handle the pressure that other teams can’t. We are all finished for 2018, but we can’t be prouder of our team.”

Brenna Dickson contributed to this story