Parent Club: Annual market was best yet

From right, Devon Fellman and Andrew Rolland, both seniors, make a sale with a parent’s help at the annual BR Pickers Flea Market. Photo by Bella Batula

At the BR Pickers Flea Market, one Bruin’s trash was another Bruin’s treasure.

On Saturday, September 10, students helped work their club or sports booths at the 4th annual fundraiser in the Bear River parking lot. They were raising money for various school programs.

This year, Parent Club filled 31 vendor spaces. Flea market vendors included members of the community, Parent Club, Leo Club, Journalism, Yearbook, Communication Arts and other programs.

Susan Kirk, the Parent Club official overseeing the event was pleased with the event.

“I think the flea market ran very smoothly this year,” Kirk said. “It’s a good event that benefits the community. … It’s for Parent Club to raise funds for the school, and so school clubs can raise for their groups. By selling their own items, they keep whatever funds they raised from their vendor space for their group activities.”

Adriana Moses, a senior and Vice President of Leo Club, thought the event was valuable.

“It’s cool to see people help out school organizations,” Moses said. “There’s a lot of interesting stuff. We are raising money for our club which all our efforts go to the community.”

“It’s a very good way to make money for your club or your team,” said Valerie Kirk, a freshmen member of the Water Polo Team.

Connie West, a student at Forest Lake Christian, also liked the event.

“It’s fun, really awesome,” she said.

Kirk said this year’s event exceeded Parent Club’s expectations.

“There was a steady flow of shoppers that came to see what the vendors had available for sale,” Kirk said. “I watched several couples making multiple trips to their cars with purchases so I think sales were pretty good. I think this was our best flea market event yet. We will try to have another just like it. Each year we try to make it better than the last.”