Boys Golf on par for a great season

Junior+Anthony+Vierra+hits+out+of+the+sand+bunker+at+practice.++Photo+by+Kalei+Owen+
Junior Anthony Vierra hits out of the sand bunker at practice. Photo by Kalei Owen

With the start of spring sports, Bear River’s Boys Golf team is preparing to tee off their 2019 season.

Head Coach Gayne Nakano expressed his goal for the season.

“We have a lot of new players coming out this year, and we have three returning starters,” he said. “I hope that everyone will improve their games.”

Five different players described their history with golf and the golf team.

“The first time I played golf was when I was four, but it was at a very basic level, and it wasn’t anywhere near normal golf,” said Senior Hunter Smith. “This is my fourth year playing for Bear River.”

“I have been playing golf for about five years,” said Senior Asa O’Callaghan. “I have been playing for the team since sophomore year … Lake of the Pines Golf Course is doable, but it requires quite a bit of effort.”

“I have played golf ever since I can remember …” said Senior Tyler Cross. “This is my fourth year playing for Bear River.”

“This is my first year playing for Bear River, but I have only been playing golf for eight months,” said Junior Anthony Vierra. “I have played at Lake of the Pines a couple of times when I was young, just hitting around. It is actually pretty difficult.”

“I have been playing golf for about three years on-and-off,” said Freshman Dominic Hartman. “This is my first year playing for Bear River High School.”

The players weren’t the only ones with reasons to play golf. Coach Nakano expressed why he coaches.

“I coach because I like golf and I like helping people,” he said.

The golfers have several personal and team goals for the season. Most of them involved improving their golf skills or looking forward to experiences with their team.

“Hopefully Nakano can help me fix my swing,” said Vierra. “I’m excited to … go play golf to see how I can progress my golf game. I would like to be able to shoot par 72. I would also like for the team to win at least three times.”

Although competition is an important part of every sport, Cross was looking more forward to being around his friends.

“My goal is to actually play somewhat decently this year,” said Cross. “I hope Nakano continues to help me with balance in my swing, and just my performance in general. My favorite part is just being with my friends and having fun.”

Most other players were also looking forward to improving alongside the team.

“I hope to win at least one game for my senior year,” said O’Callaghan. “I’m mostly looking forward to playing with the team. Last year, the team didn’t do too badly, but I think our results will be different this year because there will be new teams in our league. We will probably do better.”

“My goal for this season is to have fun and not play horribly,” said Smith. “My dad has a goal for me to drop ten strokes off my scores. It’s not entirely realistic, but it may happen.”

“My personal goal is to improve my golf game,” said Hartman. “I want to hit the ball farther and try to reduce my score by a stroke on every hole. My ultimate goal is to shoot par by the time I graduate. I think I can accomplish that, or get close to it, with Nakano’s help.”

It’s clear that the Boys Golf team is looking forward to a year full of personal improvement and schoolwide victories!