Editorial: FFA is Bear River’s unsung hero

+FFA+members+conduct+a+meeting.+Pictured+from+left%3A+Sam+Nichols%2C+a+junior%2C+Lauren+Glomson%2C+a+junior%2C+Julia+Yoder%2C+a+junior%2C+Cat+Renner%2C+a+junior%2C+Chase+Reidel%2C+a+senior%2C+Elizabeth+Enke%2C+a+senior%2C+Justin+Kilgore%2C+a+junior%2C+and+C.J.+Paul%2C+a+junior.+Photo+by+Hailey+Juergenson
FFA members conduct a meeting. Pictured from left: Sam Nichols, a junior, Lauren Glomson, a junior, Julia Yoder, a junior, Cat Renner, a junior, Chase Reidel, a senior, Elizabeth Enke, a senior, Justin Kilgore, a junior, and C.J. Paul, a junior. Photo by Hailey Juergenson

Bear River has a hidden diamond in the rough.

Our FFA program has been in existence for decades, helping students to build vital life skills they can use in the future. The program has two very involved and dynamic teachers, Steve Paasch and Tim Reid, who have dedicated their time to teaching students about agriculture.

Despite all this, many Bruins who don’t take Ag classes simply do not understand how hard-working these FFA members are. FFA is strong in many competitions, such as Parliamentary Procedure teams, Prepared Speaking, Livestock Judging, Ag Mechanics, and much more. Students’ award-winning dedication to Bear River’s programs is often not recognized.

“FFA is not any different from the rest of the school, we just study agriculture — that is important to understand,” said C.J. Paul, a junior. “Students think that FFA is not right for them because it is only about agriculture, but it is important in our everyday lives.”

That large group of students who take Ag classes over in the D-Wing has made “Bear River” known throughout our local community, other schools across the state, and even the nation.

“Our FFA program has won 27 State titles and 8 National titles alone,” said Mr. Reid, the Ag Mechanics teacher. “No other team, club, or program in our school has accomplished something as hard-working as that!”

The FFA program has great support from our local community, so they do as much as they can to give back. Recently, the Nevada County Resource Conservation District held an event called Farm Days at the Nevada County Fairgrounds. Bear River students helped run booths and educate local elementary schools about the agriculture industry.

“I think … there are always little cowboys and cowgirls and future farmers looking up to us, so we strive to set the best example possible for the eyes of the future,” said Julia Yoder, a junior. 

Many college campuses, including Fresno State, Chico State, Cal Poly, and UC Davis, along with FFA chapters from all over California know the name “Bear River” and recognize our achievements. Last year, four Bruin FFA students won the State Finals in Ag Mechanics.

“We practiced during class periods, Bruin Time, and after school several days a week to finally bring home the State title,” said Justin Kilgore, a junior and member of the Ag Mechanics team.

Bear River achieved national recognition during our last visit to the FFA National Finals. Just last year, Bruin Emma Jones represented our school in Nashville, Tennessee — she was the National Winner in the Prepared Speaking competition.

“I love my students and I have a personal goal of helping them to have an advantage over others so that they can be successful in the future,” said Mr. Paasch. 

Overall, our FFA program has been incredibly successful. It has put our name as Bruins on the map. It’s time to give credit where credit is due.