Varsity Boys Volleyball spikes the new season

Senior Noah Skowronski is ready to serve. Photo by Caitlin McLaughlin

With the season beginning, the Division III Varsity Bruin Boys Volleyball Team has started strong, and remains undefeated.

Returning Varsity Coach John Good is excited for the outlook of the team.

“The team this year is really exciting,” said Coach Good. “I feel that we all get along and each player wants everyone to get better.”

Sophomore and Outside Hitter Jace Rath supports his team.

“We have a very talented team,” he said. “I believe [the team] can go to playoffs.”

The team members explained how much they enjoy practices as well as hanging out together and bonding as a team.

“[The team] is good,” said Outside Hitter and Senior Noah Skowronski. “We just don’t really care about what we do. We just play together, and we have fun.”

Coach Good agreed with Skowronski.

“Even though we only lost two seniors last year, I really feel that our team chemistry is better than it was at any point last year,” said Coach Good.

Libero and Junior Joe Guerra feels good about his team.

“We’re all pretty close friends,” he said. “We all understand each other, and we can all help each other, and read each other. If one of us is getting upset, we all pick each other up. There’s nobody that we really don’t care about in the role in the matter if they play or not.”

The team has good sentiments about the coach.

“Coach Good is a very skilled coach,” said Freshman Will Phillips. “[He] knows how to coach the game very well, and makes practices and games fun for all.”

Skowronski shared similar thoughts to Phillips.

“Coach Good is awesome,” said Skowronski. “He is very chill and we get to … mess around in practice because our league is not very hard, but he is pretty awesome.”

As a Division III team, the boys have some substantial opponents.

“Mira Loma and Mesa Verde both played us tough, but we came out with the victory,” said Coach Good. “We will play them again soon, and if we can win again we will be league champions.”

Some players discussed the opponents they face.

“[The opponents] are weak, all of them, but one other team, Mira Loma,” Skowronski said. “They are the only good team, but the rest of them are not hard.”

“We have some competition, like a couple [of] teams in our league that are competition,” Guerra stated. “But most of the time, the league that we’re in isn’t that competitive. It’s unfortunate, but we have hard practices, which make us better, so we perform better in the games.”

Coach Good explained his hopes.

“We are currently undefeated in league,” he said. “… and will hopefully win the league championship for the first time since 2003.”

Guerra described the challenge the team will have for weeks to come.

“We can make a big playoff run if we all play out of our heads and just play the game,” said Guerra. “We can probably make it deep into sections, and maybe even win the section’s championship.”

The Bruins Boys Varsity Team looks forward to ending the season strong.

“We are in Division III, and we are confident that we will go deep in section playoffs,” said Coach Good. “[We can] put BR Boys Volleyball back on the map.”