Water Polo plans to make this season a splash

Water+polo+players+work+hard+at+practice.++Photo+by+Jeremy+Rodrigues.++
Water polo players work hard at practice. Photo by Jeremy Rodrigues.

This year’s Bruins Varsity and Junior Varsity Water Polo teams are ready to take on the upcoming season this fall.

According to players, the team includes a lot of seniors who have been part of the team for a long time, but there are also many new kids to the game.

With new players jumping in the pool this year, Senior Braden Fowler said that he thinks that the new additions are going to be able to keep up.

“Without [the seniors that graduated] it will be way different,” said Fowler. “They knew exactly what they were doing at all times, but this year will be fine, because I think the new players will pay attention and pick it up really quickly, and they’re pretty athletic.”

Junior Emma Cutter expressed similar opinions to that of Fowler.

“I’m really sad to see the seniors go,” said Cutter. “But I’m excited to where the freshmen go this year. There is room for a lot of improvement, but they can definitely make it there.”

Other Bruin swimmers also emphasized the fact that they are excited about the group of players.

“I am really excited,” said Senior Arieal Swindell. “[There is a] great group of people, girls and boys alike, to have those group of people for my last year…  I think it’s because there are a lot of new players for both the boys and girls.” 

The Girls and Boys Water Polo teams have both been training hard for this season with long-time Coach Daryn Glasgow, according to Senior Jet Livingston.

“She is very strict on being on time,” said Livingston. “We have a good spirit going into the new season and I think we will get some wins.” 

As with most sports, practices are essential to preparing for the water polo season. Cutter talked about how the girls team is tackling the practice schedule this year. 

“We’ve been having practice everyday,” said Cutter. “[We’re] prepare[d] and [we’re] working hard with drills and scrimmages.”

The team aspect is almost always the reason why a sport is special, and Fowler said that his team is one of his favorite parts of playing water polo at Bear River. 

“[I like] the team aspect of it,” said Fowler “ [We] work as a team and if the team works out well that’s a bonus too.”

Teammates are constantly supporting and trusting one another, no matter the circumstance or sport. Due this fact and extreme dedication many sports require from players, strong friendships arise from teams. According to players, the team also gets together for outside-of-the-pool fun as an annual bonding event.

“[I appreciate] getting to know the girls,” said Swindell. “We usually have a bonding party every year, and that’s one of the most fun events that we do. That and just lounging around before the games.”

As the season starts, players look forward to an incredible season of playing and hopefully winning games.

“[We have] a good attitude [during] games and it’s going to be good,” said Livingston.