New English teacher spells out a good year

New+English+teacher%2C+Kristina+Knox%2C+is+warmly+welcomed+by+the+Bruin+community.++Photo+by+Lorali+Thomas.+
New English teacher, Kristina Knox, is warmly welcomed by the Bruin community. Photo by Lorali Thomas.

This new school year, there were multiple new teachers being welcomed into the Bruin community, including English teacher Kristina Knox. 

Ms. Knox has joined us to teach English for all four grades. Previously teaching at Colfax High School, Ms. Knox explained how she’s fitting into the Bruin community.

“I am adjusting well,” she said. “I am still getting used to being on a year long schedule.

Ms. Knox shared her plans to make her classroom more welcoming to the students.

“I worked over the summer to create a space I would like,” she said. I am a very aesthetic person so I know it would be important for me to like my room. I also felt that it was important to have a space that the students would like.”

Senior Kayla Heenan agreed as well.

“Her classroom is decorated really nice, it is fun being there,” she said.

Ms. Knox talked about how she has always had a love for English. 

“When I went to school at San Diego State a long long time ago, I thought I wanted to be an elementary school teacher, but the first semester I did not have an English class, I missed it so much,” she said. “It was then that I realized I did not just love kids, I loved English. Also, all my favorite teachers in school were all my English teachers.” 

The students also had very positive and kind things to say about their new English teacher.

“Ms. Knox is really friendly and easy to talk to,” said Senior Taylor Cynoweth. “She is really laid back and kinda lets us do our own thing. Even though our class is kinda rowdy it is still fun … Her classroom is more free flying, we can kinda do whatever we want as long as we get our work done.”

“Her class is fun, it is entertaining when she makes jokes with us,” said Freshman Kiana Breeze. “Other English teachers do not really fully explain what to do in class or what your supposed to do, but Ms. Knox does.”

Senior Maddison Pocock also agreed with Breeze about Ms. Knox’s personality and the way she does things in her classroom.

“Ms. Knox is a really sweet to us, and when I do not understand something she is really good at explaining and going into depth about things,” Pocock stated. 

Ms. Knox commented one last thing. 

“I am looking forward to watching students grow,” she said. “I have the privilege of being a part of a students life for this unique slice of time. Besides encouraging students to grow as thinkers, writers, and speakers, I get to help students step into their own shoes and own who they are. I love it.”