Super yearbook theme set to impress Bruins

Senior+Sebastian+Carranza+along+with+other+yearbook+editors+are+hard+at+work+to+create+a+super+book+for+students+to+enjoy.++Photo+by+Isaiah+Williams+
Senior Sebastian Carranza along with other yearbook editors are hard at work to create a super book for students to enjoy. Photo by Isaiah Williams

According to Balfour Ohio Yearbook, “it wasn’t until 1806 that the first college yearbook was published, by Yale University… it wasn’t 22 years after this, that the first high school yearbook was published. This book was called ‘The Evergreen.’”  High school yearbooks, continuing in this tradition, are still going strong even today.

This year’s yearbook class decided to switch things up and make a BANG! with Bear River’s first ever comic book themed yearbook, and it’s super cool.

Executive Editor of the yearbook and Senior Karissa Johnson spoke about what she thinks about the yearbook design.

“I really like the comic book themed yearbook,” she said. “It is really cool and different than any book the school has done before. All of the pages we have finished look so cool, it is really exciting to be trying something that has never been done before. I can’t wait until it all comes together.”

Senior Yearbook Editor Colby Greig explained why he’s excited for this year’s book and what to expect from it.

“The comic book themed book lets me be creative and try different cool things with designing the book that I may have not been able to do with a different theme … this book is going to be very bright and colorful and also very fun and playful,” he said.

Staff member of the yearbook Sophomore Dayanara Moreno, talked about why she likes the yearbook and how it’s different from yearbooks in the past.

“I think it’s pretty fun, and I think it’s a great idea because no one wants a generic or boring yearbook. This one has a lot of color and it’s exciting,” she said. “Past yearbooks have been good but they were always really bland and there hasn’t been a lot of color and with this years book there’s a lot more color, the headlines are more exciting and the font is different and it’s just really fun.”

Yearbook Adviser Christina Levinson explained what the graphic design team is like this year.

“We have the strongest graphic designers we’ve ever had this year,” she said. “As long as I’ve been at Bear River, the graphic designers are the strongest they’ve ever been, and if we were going to do something difficult, then this is the year to do it.”

Johnson talked about what feedback she’s expecting when students see the book. 

“There will be people who don’t like the idea of having a comic book themed yearbook, but I think they will be really surprised at how the book will turn out because so far, it looks amazing,” she said. “We are putting a spin on regular comic books, so it won’t look as boring and neutral as people might expect.”

Mrs. Levinson talked about all the effort the yearbook class is putting in to make this year’s book amazing.

“The amount of graphics work that’s going into this book insane,” she said. “It is a tremendous amount of work so people should be nice to yearbook people because they’re doing a lot.”

As a final thought, Greig talked about what he anticipates for the book.

“This year’s book is going to be one that I hope everyone remembers for a long time,” he said. “I’m having a lot of fun making it and I hope y’all enjoy it.”