Boys Basketball ready to get their heads in the game

Senior+Justin+Powell+plays+during+a+home+game.++Photo+by+Jeremy+Rodrigues+
Senior Justin Powell plays during a home game. Photo by Jeremy Rodrigues

This season for Boys Varsity Basketball started off with new team members and old joining together to become the best team they can be. According to players, there have been a few injuries, but so far the team has been thriving and working hard to become better each day. 

“I want to be a better teammate and leader this season,” Senior Caleb Lowry said. “I am really excited to continue the success we had last season.”

He said that the Varsity team all worked very hard last year, and most of the players work well together because of this. 

“Every team, at any level, must work on consistency,” Varsity Basketball Coach Ralph Lewis said.

Coach Lewis explained why he is so passionate about basketball, and about helping kids improve their abilities.

“I broke both hands in a boxing match that stopped my career,” he said. “So, I took the love of basketball and focused on making these kids better.” 

The team has had multiple victories in the few recent games they’ve played so far, but they are always looking to improve. 

“I am really excited to see how we play,” said Harrison Alexander, a sophomore who is a new addition to the Varsity team. “I would like to improve on my vertical this season.” 

In addition to success as a team during games, the players said that they have also grown very close as friends. 

“I really enjoy the bond between teammates.” Lowry said. 

One of the team’s goals this year is to win a Pioneer Valley League (PVL) Championship, and they are doing everything they can to get there. 

Coach Lewis has been helping the team prepare for achieving this goal, and he believes that they can do it. When asked what he was looking forward to most in the season, he responded with, “Watching the seniors reach their goal, which is a PVL Championship!” 

“Coach Lewis pushes us at every practice and expects the most of us,” said Lanty Molloy, a senior. 

Each player loves the sport for different reasons, but they all are driven with the passion of winning the game and working together. 

“I like basketball because I am good at it.” said Molloy. 

“I love the sport.” Alexander said. “I love getting better every day.” 

“It is great to be a Bruin!” said Coach Lewis. 

“I love playing with my teammates and having fun on the court.” said Senior Brekyn Vasquez. 

In the past few weeks, the boys have been playing games both at home and away, but no matter where they are, they are always putting in effort. The boys practice great teamwork and sportsmanship both on the court and at practice, and they explained that they are preparing for the upcoming League games. 

“I am looking forward for League to start so that we can showcase what we can do,” said Vasquez. 

Even though the team will face some challenges this season, it is looking to be a great season as they fight to achieve their goals.