Bruin dancers jump into upcoming shows

Sophomore+Alexa+Tran+performs+during+the+student+choreographed+Dance+Visions+show.++Photo+by+Zach+Fink+
Sophomore Alexa Tran performs during the student choreographed ‘Dance Visions’ show. Photo by Zach Fink

With the end of the last student choreographed dance show, Dance Visions, who graced the stage from January 23 to 25, Bear River’s dance program is preparing to leap into the upcoming performances.

Sophomore Alexa Tran described what is being planned for the next dance show.

“So we’re already doing pieces for the next show… it’s going to be big,” said Tran.

Dance Instructor Gabriella Blaney continued to give additional information about their upcoming shows.

“If you liked ‘Dance Visions,’ please come see our Spring show on May 14th, 15th, and 16th,” explained Blaney. “The students can expect an amazing and entertaining show!”

Klaire Wolford, a junior, dove a little deeper into what the next dance production will entail. 

“The next [show] we are performing is our variety show [and] students can expect exciting group dances,” said Wolford. “[We have] dances set on us by our teacher and other guest choreographers rather than students. But with that said many of us have been thinking about what we want to do next year for the student choreographer show.”

This past dance show was the first of, hopefully, many to showcase the choreography of the dancers in the program. This performance could evolve to become a beloved tradition here on campus as it allows Bruins to get hands-on and design their very own concepts. 

Senior Hailey Hughes gave some insight into how her performance went during “Dance Vision”. 

“My piece [was] a hip-hop style dance [that was] super upbeat,” Hughes said. “My dance [happened] to be the opening dance meant to hype everyone up.”

Wolford expressed a similar opinion concerning the outcome of the dance show. 

“I thought the dance show was beautifully put together and all the pieces were very unique,” she said. 

Hughes also gave insight into the hard work and commitment that is required for events like this to prepare. 

“My dance specifically took seven hours to teach and get perfected,” explained Hughes. “The whole show, we have been rehearsing for four months, with before show rehearsals and during show hours every day.” 

A few dancers described what her favorite part from creating and preforming the dance show was. 

“My favorite part was being in some of my best friend’s dances and also choreographing a dance with some of my closest friends,” said Wolford. 

“I just loved the whole show – how different and unique each piece was,” Hughes said. “You can definitely tell [that] each person has their own choreography style.”

Despite how well the show turned out, there were still a few details that Wolford believed could have gone better.

“Something that could have been improved was less people missing rehearsals very close to the show,” she said. 

However, Blaney expressed a different opinion on what could have gone better at the show.

I don’t see anything that should be improved,” said Blaney. “I feel that the show was a total success [and] was phenomenal! The students put their heart and soul into this show and the outcome was outstanding… I could not be more proud!”

Tran expressed why she loves the dance program.

You just get to do what you love and talk and be with friends… and bond it’s a good time,” said Tran.

Blaney provided some advice she wishes to share with those involved in the production.

“I am so proud of every student,” Blaney said. “Your hard work and dedication to this show was so inspiring to me. You make me love my job!”