Political clubs on campus could benefit Bruins

Senior Colby Greig feels very strongly about his political beliefs. Photo by Salvatore Ginexi

High school is often a formative time for teenagers’ opinions and passions, which eventually translate into their political preference and association. Party politics are introduced and encouraged at many high schools across the nation through youth political clubs, however, Bear River does not offer any of these clubs, and some think they could be beneficial to the social ability of students.

English teacher Toby Barmeyer talked about how many students in her class would love a chance to discuss their views in a safe, non-judgmental environment.

“I know many students who would be interested in it,” she said. “Maybe if you created a political club that offers debate opportunities more students might be interested.”

ASB Accounting Technician Adina Newberry had similar feelings to Ms. Barmeyer. 

“I feel students might participate in a political club if it were to be educational and respectful of opinions and beliefs with no ulterior motive,” she said. “The success of the club would also depend on the adviser, if he/she is narrow-minded or open-minded and how the meetings are managed.” 

Students with strong political opinions have been very interested in what goes on around the world. Even though they believe that politics are important, some believe a club could be detrimental to the way students would treat each other.

“I’d be worried about putting people in different clubs that would be in a way pitted against each other,” said Junior Amber Bell. “We are all still kids and our views change often, trying to put yourself in one club and sticking with the views of everyone in that club creates a mob mentality that could be dangerous in a school setting.” 

Senior Adam Merrill had similar sentiments to Bell’s opinion on the matter.

“If there were political groups, I would prefer they be more specific than Republican and Democrat,” he said. “For example, I personally would join a club specifically focused on fighting climate change.” 

Some students feel that these clubs could benefit their classmates, like Senior Grace Billingsley.

“It’s definitely difficult for youth to voice their political opinions,” she said. “…[E]specially in a county that’s so politically one-sided.” 

Others feel like these clubs need to be taken with a grain of salt.

“We have to be careful in the way we do it,” said Senior Colby Greig. “If we put people in a group of people who all agree…what will happen when someone doesn’t agree?”

Bell felt warier on the matter.

“This is a time where we do talk about our views with people, and in the process,” said Bell. “We may decide that we have some views that aren’t all conservative or liberal. It would just be another thing kids would worry about.”

According to Ms. Barmeyer, she believes that many students would like political clubs being available.

“I definitely think students would participate in a political club,” she said.

Greig felt similar to Ms. Barmeyer.

“I do condone this idea, this is an amazing idea,” he said.  “…but we have to make sure that there is at least a teacher or an adult that can keep things civil when it starts to get out of hand.”

Putting kids together could either be greatly beneficial, however, as all these students said, we need to make sure it is all controlled and watched over. If you’d like to create a club like this, please see Ms. Newberry in the student store.