Boys soccer meets goal, breaks long-time losing streak

The Varsity Boys team is ready to wrap up this season. Photo by Salvatore Ginexi

The Bear River Boys’ Varsity Soccer team has won their first game in three years in a recent victory against the Maryville Indians.

On January 15, the Bruins played and won with a score of 2-0. 

When asked about that game, senior Jett Livingston said that he got a kick out of it.

“It feels amazing to actually win a game and be competitive in the league for the first time in 3 years,” he said.

Senior Ian Hayes had similar sentiments to Livingston.

It’s been a long three years, and that win felt pretty good,” said Hayes.

Junior Nathan Wilson talked about how he enjoyed being a part of a team that has so much potential.

“I like everyone’s heart and love for the game,” he said. “I haven’t played with people that want to win this much in a while [and] it feels good. I think that everyone is happy when we win.”

Other Bruins talked about what their favorite thing about playing on the team.

“My favorite thing about playing with the team is who I play it with,” said Senior Joe Guerra. “We have developed a good relationship and we’ve become a good team together.”

Livingston had similar feelings when he was asked about this team.

“My favorite thing about playing with the team is literally playing with the team,” said Livingston. “Everyone on the team gets along and we all have been friends for a while so it’s super fun playing my last season with these guys.” 

The Varsity Bruins talked about how tough the season was this season.

“We are currently 1-4-3, [which is] pretty disappointing with all the skill we have,” said Livingston.

Although the season has been rough, the team is continuing to keep their heads up. 

“The season is not the best,” said Sophomore Alex Madrid. “… but we are practicing and trying to take one game at a time.”

Madrid continued to discuss how the team could’ve done better this season. 

“I’m focusing on getting the teamwork up on Varsity,” he said. “And working together with my teammates to get us playoffs.”

These athletes talked about how the team can finish off this current season. 

“I think the rest of the season will be pretty solid,” said Livingston. “We just have to start playing hard for the whole game and keep our heads up.”

Madrid had a notion much the same as Livingston. 

“I expect us to be fired up and to have the urge to get back on top of the league to make it to playoffs,” said Madrid.

The team has fought hard all year and they are proud of their effort regardless of if they make it to the playoffs or not.

“I’m glad to be making history at Bear River and playing with an amazing group of guys,” Madrid said.

The final game of this season for the Varsity Boys team will happen on February 12 at Lindhurst High School at 6:15 p.m. 

— Catherine Desplancke contributed to this report.