Bruins represent in the rodeo world

Julia Yoder, a junior, rounds a barrel during her barrel racing run. Courtesy photo

Bruins are having a wild ride with High School Rodeo.

High School Rodeo is among the diverse club options available to Bear River students. Juniors Julia Yoder and Cat Renner are involved in this rodeo program at District 3 rodeo grounds held in Lincoln, CA.

According to officials, the rodeo season starts in September and there is one rodeo a month until state finals in June. During this year-round sport, participants compete to earn enough points to race in the state finals rodeo in Bishop, CA. There are many different events in the sport of rodeo such as roping events, roughstock rides, and timed events.

The two Bruins work closely with their horses and practice constantly to get ready for the rodeos each month. Renner and Yoder participate in several events when they compete in rodeo.

“I compete in the events of breakaway roping, barrel racing, and goat tying,” said Yoder.

“I got into practicing the events of goat tying, breakaway roping, and barrel racing,” said Renner.

There are many levels of rodeo, students said.

“There are different ways someone can get involved in rodeo,” said Yoder. “Once you compete in the California High School rodeo association you can work to get to state finals and possible compete a national level.”

The two students really enjoy rodeo and the atmosphere it creates.

“I love animals, and rodeo is an experience where I get the opportunity to work with my horses,” said Renner. “Also I get to spend time with my new rodeo friends.”

Rodeo teaches many life skills for the future, students said.

“Rodeo helps me by building skills of sportsmanship, team building, and creating connections between everlasting friends,” said Yoder. “I have also learned how to work with animals in any kind of situation.”

“By being involved in rodeo I have learned to work with animals is any situation, be a good ranch hand, and work well under pressure,” said Renner. “I have also made connections with many other people.”

Jim Bigelow, the head of the District 3 Rodeo, said the program is beneficial for students.

“Athletes help each other and they have really good sportsmanship either if they win or lose; they pick each other up all the time.”

According to sources, rodeo has been in existence since the early 1800’s, as a competitive sport that arose out of the working practices of cattle around the world. It is now a sport to test the skills and speed of cowgirls and cowboys.