Bruins brave college applications

Seniors Kaylee Guerra and Adri Moses sit with Counselor Bethany Williams in the Career Center as they work on UC applications. Photo by Jared Pittsley

Bear River seniors are applying all their energy into their college path.

UC and CSU applications were due November 30th, but that was only the beginning of this anxious time for the college-bound. Seniors at Bear River are working on college applications and deadlines are spread throughout December, January, and February.

“College apps make me want to jump off a bridge!” said senior Kaity Nat. “I want to know where I got in, that’s all I want.”

It is apparent that Bruin seniors are overcome with the pressure of college applications.

“I’m feeling quite stressed,” fellow senior Liam Hayes agreed. “I’m preparing for devastation, let’s put it that way.”

According to Counselor Bethany Williams, this is not in the slightest bit unexpected.

“I think all of the emotions right now are completely normal,” she said. “It’s so exciting! Like I said earlier, you guys have been thinking about this opportunity for a long time, and now that it’s here oftentimes I think students also get a little bit nervous for the first time thinking that they’re going to actually be leaving Magnolia Road.”

Excitement does not appear to be running high among those frantically finishing up their applications.

“Honestly, turning them in does not make the stress go away. It just makes it worse,” said Nat. 

Romeo Connors, a senior, also expressed his anxiety.

“If I get in everywhere, then I’ll be excited,” he said. “Why do we have to wait like 5 months?”

And the stress of getting in is not the only thing on students’ minds at this point.

“It would be cheaper to pay for my own funeral than to go to college!” commented senior Haley Walters.

“Or just to apply!” responded Connors, “It’s like I’m broke already and I haven’t even started.”

Applications typically cost $50 to $80 each, depending on the school. University of California, specifically, charges $70 per campus to apply.

All of this economic and mental pressure could be a crucial factor in determining how many Bear River students will actually apply for college.

“In general, as a class, for whatever reason I think we have less students applying to universities,” Williams stated. “But on a positive note, this is the first year that we had students really utilize workshops, connect with one another, and help share their ideas and signing up for the UC readers. So I feel like students really took the application seriously and wanted to get that extra help to perfect their application.”

Overall, applications are a stressful time for our graduating class. They force students to face the next step in their lives, whatever it may be, and that can be extremely overwhelming.

“Senior year hits you like a train,” said Walters.