Finals mean anxiety, academic aspirations

Juniors Branden Sorensen, CJ Paul, and Jakob Berger prepare for finals. Photo by Jared Pittsley

Bruin opinions are split about the Finals starting on December 14.

With grades on the line, these end-of-semester tests are often a make or break time for Bear River students.

“I’m a little nervous and stressed, but they can really help my grade if I study,” said Kaylee Bohrer, a junior.

“(I feel) fine. I don’t have very many difficult classes this year,” said Breeze Davis, a senior.

“I’m stressed and that’s about it right now,” said Camlyn Carpio, a junior.

“I’m pretty confident. (There’s) maybe one or two classes I’m worried about,” said Hailey Patrick, a senior.

“Some of them I’m dead in and others I don’t care,” said Riley Slater, a junior.

Teachers said they could see the mix of student emotions in their classes.

“The anxiety in my class is very high in all my classes, especially in AP,” said Science Teacher Jennifer Weir.

“From my classes not much, because it is not accumulative,” said English Teacher Sherlyn Reafsnyder.

Some students are finding ways to help their predicament.

“I’m going to get together with some friends from class and study what we have gone over so far,” said Bohrer.

“By reading my notes over and over again and making some flashcards to help,” said Carpio.

“I prioritize the classes I’m most worried about, but I touch in on each one of them,” said Patrick.

Some students have no strategies planned to overcome Finals.

“I don’t study,” said Davis.

“I’m not preparing,” said Slater.

Teachers said they are happy to assist students in need.

“I send out texts to them and their parents to remember to read ‘Huckleberry Finn,’ and we play Jeopardy to review before the test,” said Mrs. Reafsnyder.

“In Biology, they get a review sheet and in AP I encourage them to use their preparation book,” said Mrs. Weir.

Students agreed that there is always one class they watch out for in their schedule.

“Math, because it can make or break my grade,” said Carpio.

“AP Biology … because I didn’t take Chemistry before and I feel like it would have helped If I did,” said Patrick.

“AP Literature, because it’s just a really hard class,” said Davis.

“I’m most worried about the math final,” said Bohrer.

“AP Biology, not even a question, because it’s a lot of memorization,” said Slater.

Other classes are less worrisome for students.

“I’m least worried about English, because we have a presentation and I’m good at public speaking,” said Bohrer.

“Probably chemistry, because it’s just an easy class and we are allowed to have a cheat sheet,” said Davis.

“Art, because if you at least try at it, you will get an A,” said Slater.

“English, because it’s a group final,” said Carpio.

“There are a lot of classes I’m not worried about compared to AP Biology,” said Patrick.

Teachers wanted to reassure students that there is nothing to worry about in their classes.

“It’s fifteen percent of their grade, and it’s not really accumulative, just a way to demonstrate what’s been taught in the unit,” said Mrs. Reafsnyder.

“Finals are worth ten percent of a semester grade and allows students to show what they have retained,” said Mrs. Weir.