Snow, family, fun in store for Bruins over break

Seniors Nicole Fishman and Olivia Herider, in a festive hat, study in the library. Photo by Jacob Thrasher

With the closing of the first semester, Bruins are happy for the holidays.

Bear River students are very excited to enjoy two weeks off for holiday break. Winter break, December 17 to January 2, is a time for students to relax after their class finals and get ready for the new year. Many students have different activities planned for Christmas and the New Year.

“Winter Break is a great time for everyone to get away and enjoy the holiday season with their loved ones,” said Principal Amy Besler. “Many families travel during the holidays, which makes the two-week break an ideal length of time.”

Bruins are looking forward to relaxing close to home and being with loved ones.

“I am planning on staying home and enjoying the holidays with my huge family and many friends,” said Jacob Rivett, a junior. 

A huge highlight for many students is to drive up the hill and visit fresh snow.

“(I am) hitting up Boreal to go snowboarding with the boys,” said Nate Araiza, a senior.

“I plan on going snowboarding for the first time, up in Tahoe, with some of my friends,” said Jacob Arshawsky, a sophomore.

“I love having bonfires at my house with a group of friends, and after drive up to Tahoe and see the snow,” said Megan Bruinning, a senior.

Other students are traveling for their Christmas break.

“Over winter break I booked a trip to fly down to Arizona for the Livestock show,” said Maddie Prechter, a junior. 

“As a Christmas present my parents are taking me to Disneyland,” said Taylor Medlyn, a sophomore. 

Some students will be busy practicing and playing winter sports over the break.

“I am very committed to the Varsity Basketball team, so during Christmas break I will be playing basketball,” said Katelyn Meylor, a junior. 

Whatever the plans, Bear River staff members agree that the two weeks off is a much needed break.

“The end of the semester is such a stressful time, with final exams, projects, and performances all hitting at once, and students and staff have certainly earned a much-needed break,” said Principal Besler.