District switches to Pass/Fail grading system in response to pandemic

Bear+River+alongside+the+other+schools+in+the+Nevada+Joint+Union+High+School+District+is+officially+switching+to+a+Pass%2FFail+grading+system.+++Photo+by+Morgan+Ham+
Bear River alongside the other schools in the Nevada Joint Union High School District is officially switching to a Pass/Fail grading system. Photo by Morgan Ham

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Nevada Joint Union High School District (NJUHSD) will be switching to a Pass/Fail grading system for the remainder of the Distance Learning semester. 

In an email to students this week, Math Teacher Steve McCullough announced the switch. 

“Big news is the Pass/Fail process,” said Mr. McCullough. “Obviously 60% or above is a Pass. No letter grades in June.”

Assistant Superintendent Dan Frisella later confirmed the decision, and explained the reasoning behind it.

“The significant piece that is difficult to capture is the justification,” he said. “… It comes down to student equity.  When we implement Distance Learning, the playing field becomes grossly imbalanced. Each student already has their own unique challenges to accessing their education (family dynamics, proper nutrition, household working conditions, etc.).  If the bar remained set high, even if that was an optional bar, that would exacerbate those inequities.” 

He went on to talk about more factors that play into the inequality, and hoped to reassure students that this will not affect their academic futures.

“Families are struggling with employment, food insecurities, internet connectivity, and home dynamics,” said Assistant Superintendent Frisella. “These are stressful and unprecedented times, and the district feels obligated to advocate for all students. Pass/No Pass grading maintains a level playing field by ‘freezing’ GPAs [Grade Point Averages] … no students will advance or decline in their cumulative GPAs. There are many districts across the state and nation that have gone this direction. The decision by the university systems to hold students harmless, without implications for college admissions, supported our decision-making.”

Assistant Superintendent Frisella said that more information about the new grading system will be released later today, in the hopes of answering the many questions that are sure to arise. 

“I’m in the final phases of editing a Pass/No Pass FAQ sheet that will go out to parents and students today,” he said.