Teacher’s medical emergency leaves students concerned

History+Teacher+Jeff+Carrow+sits+in+his+classroom+teaching+students+last+school+year+before+quarantine.%0A+Photo+by+Sara+Tate+
History Teacher Jeff Carrow sits in his classroom teaching students last school year before quarantine. Photo by Sara Tate

While conducting a class on a Zoom call on Friday, September 4, a Bear River High School staff member had a medical emergency, sparking concern and worry within the student body.

Administration and Bear River Principal Christopher Roberts has not revealed who the staff member is, however multiple American Government and Economics students who witnessed the emergency have confirmed that it was History Teacher Jeff Carrow. 

With 911 called by another concerned staff member who happened to be on the Zoom call when Mr. Carrow collapsed, Principal Roberts provided an update on his condition with caution to protect his faculty member’s identity.

“The staff member is doing much better,” he said. 

As this occurrence happened during Mr. Carrow’s sixth period class, many students witnessed the urgency of the situation, including Senior Melanie Franklin who recounted her experience.

“He got up and away from the camera and was making inaudible sounds,” she said. “I think he fell because there was a crashing sound and he was still making noises and breathing heavily. … We were still on the call, and I called the school and they just said it was a medical emergency, [that] the ambulance came to get him, and that he seemed better.”

Two additional points of view were shared by Seniors Tanner Roberts and Cadyn Wilson.

“He seemed completely fine before the incident happened,” said Tanner Roberts. “He told us to work on an assignment and left the frame of the computer. When out of the frame, we could hear faint moaning sounds coming from him. Everyone began to wonder what was happening. I was legit nervous of what had happened.” 

Wilson continued with her recount of the incident.

“There was a helper on the call so she went to check up on him,” she said. “We could hear her walking in and calling his name. He didn’t respond and she sounded very worried. She then hung up from the Zoom call and closed his laptop. He was still on the Zoom call but she called 911 while my friend [Franklin] called the school. … Later Heath Teacher Jennifer Krill talked to us from his computer and said to leave the call.”

Principal Roberts reflected on the strange situation in which the accident occurred.

“An emergency, like the one we had today, is difficult regardless of where it happens,” he said. “However, happening on Zoom with no one else around definitely made it more serious. I’m just glad that this teacher was at school and the staff at Bear River could be there to help and do so so quickly.”

He continued to praise the good work the staff members on site demonstrated.

“I’m so proud of the staff’s response to this emergency,” he said. “Our teacher was well taken care of and the thoughtfulness and love that went into it was amazing!”

Multiple students offered last hopeful wishes towards Mr. Carrow’s fast recovery.

“I really feel bad for him because he’s an awesome teacher and it would just be devastating if something happened to him,” said Senior Marco Luciano. “I’m really glad that he’s feeling better and that it lifted up my day a bit.” 

“It’s so sad that [this] happened, and I truly hope he is going to be okay,” said Senior Maddie Pratt.

“I hope that Mr. Carrow is okay and gets better soon!” said fellow Senior Emma Cutter.

“I just want to say that I hope he has a good recovery and that he’s not alone,” said Tanner Roberts. “We are all here for him.”

— Annabelle Owyoung contributed to this report.