Middle schoolers get a taste of Bear River

Parents and eighth graders visited campus for Future Bruins Day. Photo by Brandon McGinnis

“Future Bruins” got a sneak peek of what Bear River has to offer.

Future Bruins Day, held on December 8, was a day for 8th graders from all over Nevada County to tour Bear River High School as they considered which campus to choose for their freshman year. Students experienced a rally, lunch on campus and classroom tours.

Jessica Zenor, a 13-year old from Magnolia Intermediate School talked about possibly going to Bear River.

“I think I’m going to Bear River, I know people here,” she said. “(I’m excited for Bear River), the dress code and the freedom in high school I think will be different from middle school.”

Keryyn Smith, a 14-year old from Yuba River Charter School, also reflected on attending high school at Bear River.

“Yes, I’m deciding to go to Bear River,” he said. “It seems pretty fun. I like it cause it’s small and it’s like super crazy. … “It seems like an awesome school with super nice and awesome people I think.”

Skylar Miller, a 13-year old from Clear Creek, talked about coming to Bear River.

“Sure (I’m excited for Bear River ), I’m coming here,” Miller said. “There’s a lot more people in high school.”

Faith Kelly, a 13 -year old from Magnolia, was very excited about Bear River.

“I’m coming to Bear River,” she said. “I think the difference between high school and middle school is all the people and the hot guys.

Counselor Bethany Williams described the importance of Future Bruin Day.

“What I like about the Future Bruin Day for incoming eighth graders is it gives them an opportunity to see the campus,” she said. “In the past, the only time the students really heard about coming to Bear River is, as a counselor, I would go out to their school and kind of describe it from my perspective. So what I think is really nice about it is that the students are here and they get to experience the campus and walk around to different classes. Overall I think it went really well. … Considering it was a rainy day, I think it was a success.”