New Ag teacher eager to grow alongside students

Holly Hockett, one of the newest teachers welcomed into the agriculture program, is optimistic about this school year. Courtesy Photo

Following the retirement of several teachers last school year, Bear River welcomed many new teachers into the Bruin family, including one of the newest additions to the Agriculture Department, Holly Hockett.

Ms. Hockett commented on how she feels about teaching her first year at Bear River and the struggles that she faced with a virtual introduction rather than a traditional beginning to the school year.

“I am so excited to teach at Bear River,” she said. “These are extraordinary times in education, not just at Bear River. I’m really happy to be working at a school where I feel my students and I are both set up for success in this model. I’ve certainly experienced struggles though, likely very similar to the ones my students experience. Learning new platforms to teach with and mastering technology has had a steep learning curve.”

Despite the struggles of distance learning, Freshman Aleayah Briscoe also had a positive outlook on the school year.

“I think this year is going to be good even though it’s not the typical way things go,” she said. “And I think [Ms. Hockett] is doing the best she can to make this year memorable.”

Ms. Hockett described her motivation behind teaching at Bear River and the personal connection she shares with the area.

“I am originally from Auburn where I attended Placer High School, so I’ve always been drawn to teach in this area,” she said. “It is important for me to live and work close to my family, and so when this job opened up, I jumped on it.”

Ms. Hockett also spoke about what her ambitions for the Agriculture department are and what she hopes for this school year. 

“This school year, I hope to uphold and learn about the traditions that make the agriculture program special, as well as cultivate strong relationships with my students and their parents,” she said.

Several students that take a course with Ms. Hockett expressed their feelings about her and how her addition to the staff benefits the students, including Junior Will Philips.

“I think that having so many new teachers could be a good thing … but students also have to adapt to different teaching styles of new teachers,” he said. “So far most of the new teachers have been great and very comforting and forgiving.”

Junior Zach Clark-Ware talked about what it’s like adjusting to a new teacher.

“She’s very nice and a good teacher,” said Clark-Ware. “She uses some new ways to teach that I’ve never used before but it works well and is a good system of teaching.”

Briscoe elaborated on how Ms. Hockett takes an active role in her students’ education.

“You can tell she’s passionate about what she’s teaching and she’s always there to help if anyones confused and she’s always really sweet,” said Briscoe.

Similarly, Philips shared his positive first impression of Ms. Hockett.

“Ms. Hockett has been great so far,” he said. “She’s been very good about making sure I understand what I’m supposed to be doing and answering my questions.”

Ms. Hockett expressed her final thoughts in an enthusiastic message.

“Thank you to my students for their kindness and patience! You have all impressed me so much already and I know you will continue to do so.”