Varsity Basketball dribbles back onto court

During Bear River’s 2020-21 school year, the Varsity Boys Basketball team practiced under strict COVID-19 health protocols. Photo by Maddie Meilinger

The COVID-19 pandemic has made it a struggle to get the ball bouncing on Bear River’s Varsity Basketball team practices, but the team has found a way to get back on the court whilst following guidelines and precautions.

The team expressed their gratitude to be back on the hardwood, being able to prepare for the upcoming season despite the obstacles they face due to the COVID-19 pandemic. They voiced their appetite for game situation and contact practice and said they look forward to this year’s somewhat strange season.

Varsity Head Coach Jason Camacho reported feeling good about this year’s team and the work they are putting in.

“Practices are going good, giving us a chance to do more individual fundamental workouts,” said Coach Camacho. “These workouts will help us be more effective when we get to run our offense during this season.” 

Coach Camacho also commented on the difficulty of ensuring the entire team is adhering to the coronavirus guidelines and keeping everybody safe.

“The biggest challenge is keeping the coaches and players safe.”

Junior Forward Michael Hermann also remarked on the challenges of getting the team back together during a pandemic saying that he misses the normalcy of full contact play.

“Wearing masks and social distancing isn’t too bad, but I can’t wait to be able to scrimmage and run contact drills again,” he said.

Junior Guard Ryan Downs was grateful for the return to practicing, but paralleled Herrmann in his desire for scrimmages to resume.

“Good to be back in the gym,” he said. “I just wish we could scrimmage.”

The similarities continued as Junior Forward Brody Borgen shared a comparable sentiment on the COVID-limited practices and his hopes for the resumption of live play.

“There is no contact or scrimmage so [it] is a little less fun,” he said. “Hopefully this Corona stuff all slows down and we are able to play five versus five.”

Junior Forward Tristan Smith emphasized his level of anticipation for this year’s season following the graduation of most of last year’s starting squad.

“I’m excited to see how well we do in season,” he said. “Most of our guys last year were seniors. It’s gonna be a lot different.”

Junior Center Harrison Alexander also expressed his positive thoughts about the upcoming season.

“I feel great about next season,” he said. “Our team has been putting in a lot of work, and we’re going to come out a strong team and dominate …  I’m excited for when season comes around.”

Smith commented on the value of player on player action.

“Practices are alright,” he said. “They would be better if we could have a full on practice. We still can’t defend each other. I really wish we could.”

Hermann talked about how the team is looking after the elongated COVID break.

“The team is looking a bit rusty but it’s nice to get back into practice and start playing again,” he said.