RBG leaves lasting legacy among Bruins

©WFU/Ken Bennett
Associate Justice of the Supreme Court Ruth Bader Ginsburg passed away on September 18 at the age of 87. Photo by Wake Forest University Law School

With the death of Supreme Court Justice and influential figure Ruth Bader Ginsburg on September 18, some Bruins remarked on her efforts to achieve gender equality. 

Bader Ginsburg served her country as the 114th Justice of the Supreme Court for twenty-seven years; during that time, accomplishing equal pay regardless of gender and rights for the LGBTQ+ community. She gave a voice to those who previously did not have one. It is difficult to imagine where our country would be without her tireless fighting and dedication to equality. 

Sophomore Brynna Vasquez shared what she believed to be Bader Ginsburg’s biggest accomplishment. 

“I believe her greatest accomplishment in her lifetime was fighting for woman’s rights, but she fought for so many other things too,” Vasquez said. 

Grayson Scheda, a junior, had this to say when he was asked the same question. 

“I believe her biggest accomplishment was being able to convince conservatives to lean towards the liberal side with gender equality and equal rights over all,” said Scheda. 

Ginsburg famously spoke on her hopes about her own legacy and how she wanted to be remembered. 

“I would like to be remembered as someone who used whatever talent she had to do her work to the very best of her ability,” she said. 

It is needless to say that Ginsburg left an impression on her now grieving country and also on Bruins, many who are mourning her passing away. 

Vasquez had this to say in regardless to Ginsburg’s passing.

“I thought that RBG’s (Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s) passing was super sad, she made it through so many challenges like cancer and kept working,” Vasquez said. “She was a great person and judge.”

Scheda agreed with Vasquez’ sentiments for the accomplishments of Ginsburg.

“It’s sad that one of the most influential people for human rights passed away and I believe she made waves during her life,” said Scheda. 

Now that the position of Justice of the Supreme Court is available again, Bruins shared their hopes and concerns regarding the next Justice. 

Marco Davis, a senior, expressed the importance of experience when pursuing such an important role.

“…I do think that people should have actual experience in the courtroom…” Davis said.

Vasquez added on to that, explaining the significance of the future Justice not being influenced by political beliefs or views. 

“I believe a future Supreme Court Justice should follow the law and Constitution and not be swayed by politics,” said Vasquez. 

Scheda shared his concerns regarding the next Justice.

“Honestly, I hope that this country looks to find a replacement that would be an advocate for human rights and gender equality, rather than someone who would strip those rights away piece by piece,” Scheda said. 

Ginsburg left a remarkable footprint on both her country and Bruins, becoming a role model for many over her impressive career and lifespan. She fought tirelessly for equal rights and is the leading reason for fair pay and LGBTQ+ equality. Ginsburg was an incredible person and she will be greatly missed. 

(Information taken from https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/biographyGinsburg.aspx)