D-Wing renovation sparks excitement in Ag students

Much to the pleasure of agriculture students, Bear River’s D-Wing has been undergoing drastic renovations over the last few months. Photo by Maya Bussinger

After decades of Bruins have passed through the halls of Bear River’s D-Wing, Agriculture students are enthusiastic about the installation of new technology and appliances following months of construction.

As the last step of Measure B, the goal of the refurbishment of the Ag Wing is to help better prepare students for success after high school. With the completion date of this project unsure and frequently changing, agriculture teachers hope the new classrooms and Agricultural Mechanics shop will be complete before the end of the year. During construction and the hybrid schedule, however, Agricultural Mechanics will take place in G16 while Agricultural Sciences currently occupy A202. 

Agricultural Science Teacher Holly Hockett explained what students should expect from the future classrooms.

“We are getting a complete remodel to update the building,” she said. “Updates are being made to the floors, walls, lights, insulation, HVAC, among other things. In the shop, there will be substantial changes that will hopefully increase the number of students that can be working and welding simultaneously.” 

Students express positive interest in the new improvements and have shared some of their expectations. 

“I’m just expecting them to be a lot more updated and organized than our prior classrooms!” said Junior Bailey Ham.

Senior Connor McGehee shared Ham’s opinion expressing a desire for a new look in the Ag Science classroom.

I am hoping to have a more modern and aesthetically clean classroom.” 

The previous classroom was well known by students to be covered from top to bottom in trophies, ribbons and classroom projects, showcasing the agricultural and FFA success as well as student talent. 

“I am sad to hear about all the trophies being gone in Mr. Paasch’s old room,” said McGehee. “It was nice to be able to see how strong and successful our chapter is.” 

Some Agricultural Mechanics students look forward to new equipment as well as larger workspaces, but will miss the familiarity of the old shop. 

“I am looking forward to being in a changed environment and I am excited to use the new and improved tools,” said Senior Kylie Scaglione. “I have been in Ag Mechanics all 4 years of high school so I have had a lot of good times and have made a lot of memories there, so of course I will miss the place where that all happened.”

Though students cannot yet utilize the new classrooms or shop as they are still in progress, those on campus for in-person learning with the hybrid schedule express their joy at being able to be back “in-class”. 

“I am excited to be able to be back in school and have the extra support in the classroom that I feel a lot of students were lacking online,” McGehee expressed. 

Others look forward to making memories and having fun this year. 

“I’m really looking forward to just the experience of being in an Ag class. Really getting to see all of our past achievements is always super fun and motivational for class,” said Ham. 

Though many students look forward to new improvements, there are some aspects that will be missed. 

“I’m going to miss the chalkboards a lot,” said Ham after being informed of the installation of whiteboards in the Ag Science room. 

Both students and teachers expressed their excitement for the completion of the project and finally be able to utilize the new classrooms and shop. 

“I’m so excited to get back into the Ag wing and make that our space!” said Ms. Hockett.