Bruins Have Mixed Opinions on 4×8 Schedule

Cooper Berry
Intro to Health Careers, a new elective at Bear River, works on a group project.

Bruins opinions with new 4 by 8 schedule

The 2022-2023 school year brought a big change to the Bruin curriculum: a new schedule format. With past years having six classes and the new schedule bringing eight classes. A big part of the change is the alternating odd and even days.
Some Bruins say that the amount of classes is fine. It’s the day in between that gets to them.
“I get that one day to just forget everything,” senior Johnny Lui said.
This seems to be a common take on the schedule. There can be up to four days between classes, which can make things difficult to remember.
Junior Byron Ryan would like to have all his classes every day.
“I think we should have all the periods every day for a shorter time each day.” Ryan said. “I think classes are too long and kids fall asleep too quickly in class.”
“I really liked the Monday and Friday schedule,” English teacher Toby Barmeyer said. “We see them more minutes, so then we could get through more material or we go deeper into what we’re reading with the old schedule.
“I have to think of the learning goals and think about if things were extra and which to do more closely and which to cut out, and cutting out some vocab and no red ink stuff.”
However, some teachers prefer the new schedule.
“I think the new schedule is amazing for not only students to have opportunities to take classes they want to take, but for them to prepare themselves for the workforce after high school,” CTE teacher Andy Barhydt said. “Being able to take a variety of courses in things they’re interested in, to help them figure out what they want to do — whether it’s going to college, straight to a career or to a trade school.”
Some Bruins didn’t like the idea of a new schedule as it would be less time in class each day, which would mean more homework.
“The best part about this schedule is more time in class to get work done,” sophomore Brayden Estrada said.
This is a notable part of the schedule, especially for lab-based classes like biology, chemistry, Intro to Health Careers and many more.
“It gives me an excuse to not do homework cause it’s not due for two days,” junior Jesse Averill said.
So Bruins, what’s your opinion on the schedule?