Are time honored traditions even missed?

Leadership is responsible for scheduling many events and fun activities for Bruins to participate in. Photo by Sara Tate

With the strict COVID-19 guidelines, Bear River students are sad that they have had to miss all the fun school activities they had before…or are they?

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many strict guidelines have been put in place to help stop the spread and make sure everyone is safe. However, because these guidelines have been put in order, the traditional school activities, (dances, sports games, clubs, etc.) have had to be put on hold since the start of the 2020-2021 school year. Although students haven’t been able to do any school activities, are they truly missing them?

Leadership Teacher Matt MacDonald feels the students are discouraged about not being able to have school activities.

“I think the vast majority of our students are frustrated that we aren’t able to have traditional school activities. Dances, rallies, club functions, etc. are incredibly important to all of us. They help us maintain a positive school culture and environment.”

Junior Kenny Baltz shares how having the activities brought the high school experience.

“I do miss school activities, especially dances, football games, and rallies because I feel like the big student spirited events really bring together the ideal high school experience.”

Junior Corina Shaw shares her feelings on missing the school dances.

“I honestly don’t,” says Shaw. “Yeah they were fun and all but there was so much drama in my opinion so I’d much rather stay home.”

However, Shaw does feel that other students miss the dances and other activities.

“Yeah, I’m sure there’s a lot of people that miss them because we’re such a large part of our school,” says Shaw.

One student shares her feelings on not being able to go to football games.

“Yes. I miss being able to go to the football games the most because I felt that was where you can meet people from other schools and I really enjoy watching football as well,” says Junior Emma Jackson. “Some of my favorite memories are from the football games.”

Junior Emma Jackson also feels strongly that the other students miss attending football games.

“Yes I do feel like the other people miss them as well because it was a really good time to hangout with friends after school and be able to count on most people being there.”

Senior Maddie Meilinger misses football games the most.

“I definitely do miss school activities. I miss the jungle dance and I think the thing I miss the most is going to football games.”

Mr. MacDonald feels many of the students understand the situation and keeps a positive outlook for the activities for this year.

“Even though our students are discouraged, I think they understand that these events simply aren’t possible when we are in the middle of a pandemic. With that said, we are optimistic that we will still be able to continue some of these important traditions in the spring.”