Bruins basketball harbors high hopes for successful season

Freshman Rudy Perez plays Western Sierra in their JV basketball home game. Photo by Maya Bussinger

Our very own Bear River boys basketball team is back and better than ever and is under new management. 

After an uncertain season last year, junior varsity and varsity basketball returns with a deep roster. 

Varsity has played six preseason games this season. With a big win against Western Sierra on Dec. 7, the varsity boys have really provided excitement to our community. With a packed schedule of three to four games a week, basketball is ramping up their schedule after an abbreviated season last year due to COVID-19. 

Bear River basketball had a surprising 30 kids try out. Varsity has 16 players, which is the biggest number they have had in a long time. 

Junior varsity has also made quite the impact. They recently won the JV Wildfire Classic at Foothill High School. 

When asked about the JV team’s dynamic, freshmen Ben Barley shared some insight. 

“The team chemistry is perfect,” said Barley. “Our coach Daniel Mooney has brought us together to work as a team. We have learned to be selfless and help each other in order to score.” 

Barley also shared what it is like to transfer from middle school basketball to high school basketball. 

“It has been hard adapting to junior varsity,” he said. “Coming from middle school and missing a year of experience due to Corona virus was a big step to overcome.”

Both freshmen and sophomores have missed a lot of experience when it comes to high school sports. They have learned to adapt to their surroundings and overcome what cannot be controlled. Varsity basketball has taught the underclassmen how to play the game with respect. 

Senior Carter Nunnink shared what the team has been like since the addition of their new coaching staff, which includes head coach Mooney. 

“Our new coach brings in a whole new culture,” said Nunnink. “A culture for the good; he brings professionalism and a winning attitude.” 

Nunnink has provided an amazing career throughout his years of basketball. He and all the seniors have adapted through multiple coaches, and have maintained their love for the game. 

Nunnink speculated about where he thinks varsity will be by the end of the season. 

“The success of our team determines where we will be in the future,” Nunnink said. “I could see us in the playoffs by the end of the season if all goes well.” 

Although Bear River is only in preseason, the experience on the court for varsity and junior varsity is definitely preparing them for their conference season. If COVID-19 remains tame and Bruin basketball players can remain healthy and safe, this season will definitely be one to catch. Will you be watching a Bruins basketball game? Stay tuned in for more information about Bear River athletics.