Bruins tee-off for Golf season

Hunter Monts, a senior, and Asa O’Callaghan, a sophomore, pratice chipping. Photo by Brandon McGinnis

Bruins Golf hopes to iron out the competition this season.

The boys Golf team hopes to make the best of this golf season regardless of the challenges they may face. With some obvious competitors and poor weather, the team will have their hands full. Practice started February 13, but has been very spotty considering the excessive rain.

Head Coach Gayne Nakano is stays positive for the season. 

“If it stops raining, I expect all of my players to improve throughout the season,” he said.

“Yeah, I’m pumped!” said junior David Aldrich.

The team’s abilities out on the course this season are yet to be determined.

Luke Baggett, a junior, gives his strategic perspective.

“Yeah, most of the teams last year had a lot of seniors who are graduated now, and we return all of our players but one graduated senior,” he said.

Nakano doesn’t have extremely high expectations for new players joining the team.

“Any new players with skills will be a surprise,” he said. “We have three returning starters, we hope to do well this year.”

All players and Coach Nakano can agree on the fact that Placer will be their ultimate challenge this season.

“Placer will definitely be our biggest competitor, because last year they won everything,” said Aldrich.

“Placer will be the toughest competition this year,” he stated.“They will be returning the best player in the league and have incoming freshmen with some skills.”

James Lavelle, a senior, explains why Placer is going to be a difficult team to beat this season.

“Placer, they shoot the lowest scores making them the best team in the league for the past couple of years,” he said. “We’re going to try and work our butts off everyday.”

Nakano has a respectable coach outlook on the season

“I am always hopeful throughout the season,” he said. “If players learn the game, I will be satisfied.”

March 2 they have their first match against El Dorado at Lake of the Pines.