Performances dazzle Bruins on the high seas

Members of the Bear River Choir and Band poses for a group photo on the Carnival Imagination Cruise. Photo by Kevin Guerrero

The choir and band students said ‘bon voyage’ to Bear River as they set out to sea.

On Sunday, April 9 the Bear River Choir and band set sail on the Carnival Imagination Cruise during their spring break. The cruise lasted five days, returning the following Thursday to Long Beach, California.

David Ahrens, the choir and band teacher, was determined to make sure the students were safe and responsible.

“As far as everything else, like students doing what they are supposed to and having fun, it all worked out, we didn’t have any instances,” he said.

Ahrens also explained the schedule alterations made during travel.

“We were able to adjust the daily method,” he said. “We were going to do a shuttle system, but we found a new way that we thought would work. It allowed students to have more freedom, but still allowed us to know what was going on.”

During the trip, the students got the chance to perform both on the ship and on Catalina Island.

Trey Jarman, a junior, liked meeting the performers on the ship.

“(I enjoyed) getting to perform on the ship and meet actual performing crew members.”

The cruise itself included many activities for the students to enjoy.

Matt Snyder, another junior, talked about his favorite part of the cruise.

“It was probably the mini golf because it was on the top and it had a scenic view.”

Junior Lucy Livingston, explained how her favorite part of her cruise experience was the performances.

“All the performances that were provided by the cruise line,” Livingston said. “I liked how they liked what they did and they were full of energy and they made you have a good time.”

Tiana Langseth, a junior, suggested that the cruise crew inspired the energy of Starlight Express

“It kinda was just really an example to just really get our energy up, they were just really cool,” she said. 

The cruise proved to be a success for both the teachers and the students. Many of them enjoyed the experience and say they would be interested in participating again.

Hailey Juergenson contributed to this report.