Ag Mechanics vandalism ruins award winning project

A junior, Devin McGregor, points out the marking made, now covered up. Photo by Jared Pittsley

Ag Mechanics works to rebuild their trust after suffering a vandalism incident with a Bear River student’s important project.

On May 16th, a wooden table made by Micah Warner, a sophomore, was vandalized by another student in Ag Mechanics who carved someone’s name into the table.

Warner details what exactly happened to his bench.

“I was just finishing doing stuff and I left for the day,” explained Warner. “When I came back the next day, first thing in the morning, nothing was out of place, (but) I found someone’s name chiseled into the corner of the table.”

Bailey Kirby, the Ag Mechanics teacher, confirms Warner’s story.

“Someone took a chisel and gouged someone else’s name into a person’s award winning project,” said Ms. Kirby.

The vandal didn’t admit to the act, so Kirby had to create a way to find the culprit.

“All the other periods for the next two to three days were doing book work,” said Warner.

“This affected us by taking away a couple work days when we don’t have many left,” said Devin McGregor, a junior.

“It affected other classes in a negative way, but it didn’t affect our class in the slightest,” said Peyton Turner, a senior.

Kirby gave details on the punishment she handed out to her students.

“Book work in silence that was worth 300 test points,” explained Ms. Kirby. “I punished all of them except for second period because Micah was in it and it was his project.”

The book work was the punishment, but students found other problems with the Kirby’s methods.

“It set me behind on a project where now I may need to come in during summer shop to finish it,” said McGregor.

“I, personally, was working on a paid project for my middle school when Kirby gave the punishment and it set me behind a little bit in my work and delayed when I would have it done,” said Devin Crabb, a junior.

“I had to be more cautious of where I put my project and had less trust in my class,” said Joshua Miller, a freshman.

Kirby gave her reasons for the punishment she decided upon.

“One: because I didn’t know who it was and I had to weed them out after he refused to confess,” said Ms. Kirby. “Two: this isn’t the first time it’s happened.”

Students give their honest opinion on Kirby’s punishment.

“The punishment seemed fair because no one admitted to (vandalizing the table),” said Warner.

“I feel like it was a good idea to punish the other classes and that the punishment also worked really well on the kid,” said Crabb.

Students continued on to state what they believe the punishment should have been.

“I think the vandal should be suspended and should learn to get some maturity and respect for others’ projects,” said Miller.

“The person who did that shouldn’t be allowed back in the shop and should be suspended while also paying for the damages,” said McGregor.

“Micah should get to carve his name on the vandal back, an ‘eye for an eye,’” said Turner.

“It just doesn’t seem like anyone would do such a thing,” said Warner.

Students also reflected on the act of vandalism.

“Obviously very disrespectful and it breaks the ‘bro code,’” said Turner.

“I think it was really selfish and the shop should have a policy against that,” said Crabb.

Kirby agreed with what students said.

“That was what the punishment was intended for, to teach everyone a lesson that we are responsible for one another and not just ourselves,” said Ms. Kirby.

Micah’s project was the one that was vandalized and he states his true feelings on the matter.

“I was kinda bummed.” said Micah, “I wasn’t that mad just disappointed in other student.”