Class plugs into modern era

Juniors Clay Corripo, Nate Whittle, and Jake Fredricks watch a TED Talk video in C130. Photos by Jacob Thrasher

The Bear River AP Computer Science class now allows students to power up their technology skills for a new era.

The new AP class, taught by Jason Bohrer, is offered to Junior and Senior Bear River students only, and happens during sixth period in room C-130. Mr. Bohrer said he is eager to increase student’s tech skills.

“(It’s) starting the base of a new era for Bear River in ensuring that students know about computer technology,” Mr. Bohrer said.

Throughout the school year, Mr. Bohrer will be teaching the foundational concepts of computer science and the new innovations of technology that can impact the world.

“Our school is blessed to have the opportunity to be introduced to this program because it is the only AP Computer Science class taught in the whole district,” Bohrer said.

Mr. Bohrer said Bear River teachers are working hard to make sure that students are ready for future technology.

“This material, in the future, could be a core class for this next generation,” he said. “I have a really good group of students in the class and am excited to get into all stages of the program.”

In the field of technology there are many job openings and students are excited to learn the skills from this class to future jobs.

“I have been enjoying computer science and love learning new things with computers,” said Mallory Rath, a junior. “I learned how to code and how I can use this class to maybe get a job in the future.”

“I think it will help me prepare for the real world,” said Brady Beskeen, a junior.

Sam Nichols, a junior, also hopes to improve his learning skills with Mr. Bohrer.

“I took computer science because I am going to need to be able to use computer skills in order to be successful later on,” he said.