Fun reported! New game takes over BruiNation

Junior Sara Tate begins a round of Among Us. Photo by Sara Tate

In a time where you are ordered to stay at home, it may feel as if you have nothing to do, however with the new online game Among Us, that has changed.

We are blessed with the gift of having the internet, being able to play thousands of online games with friends and people all over the globe. However, the newly discovered online game, Among Us created by Innersloth, has taken over the online gaming universe, with 100 million downloads and 1.5 million active players by September 2020.

Spanish Teacher Shawn Mason, who plays the game and loves it, gave an explanation on exactly what Among Us is.

“Among Us is a game you play online, with up to 9 other people, so it’s up to 10 people in a game,” he said. “and the basic idea is that you’re on a spaceship traveling to who knows where, and usually 2 of the 10 people are what are called imposters. The imposters job is to try to sabotage the spaceship and kill everybody on board. The other 8 people are trying not to be killed and they are trying to fix various problems on the spaceship, tasks they need to complete. These are called the crewmates.”

Mr. Mason went into detail on how either the crewmates or imposters win.

“The crewmates can win one of a couple ways,” he said. “One: If they witness one of the imposters killing someone, they can report it and have this big vote to vote someone off the spaceship, and if you get rid of both imposters that way, you win. The other way you can win is if all of the crewmates complete all of their tasks before they are all dead. The imposters win by killing everybody off or by sabotaging important things on the ship and the people on the ship die because of that.”

Junior Corina Shaw plays the game, and gives insight on why she loves to play.

“My favorite thing about the game is trying to find out who the imposter is while still trying to survive and finish your tasks. I also like playing with friends and teaming up!”

Junior Dayanara Moreno Jurado also shared her favorite thing about playing Among Us.

“My favorite part about the game is that you get to ‘meet’ new people from all over the word. The teams you get put in are genuinely really fun and have a great atmosphere.”

Mr. Mason said his favorite thing about the game was the variety of languages available for use.

“I like to play it because you can set, whenever you have the little discussions, you can decide do you want that discussion to be in English, Spanish, Portuguese, or Japanese and they have Mandarin too.”

Students enjoy Among Us so much, they would even recommend the game to fellow peers.

“I would recommend it to people because it’s a nice interactive game if you are playing with friends,” says Senior Jenna Watson.

“It’s a fun game and pretty much anyone of any age can play it. It’s a great way to get off socials too,” say Sophomore Olivia DesAutels.