University scouts eyeing Bruin southpaw

Kaitlyn Maddux is currently being scouted by Sonoma State University, North Dakota University, and University of Mississippi. Photo by Brandon McGinnis

Kaitlyn Maddux is pitching strikes and scouts are taking notice.

Bear River junior Kaitlyn Maddux is a four-year pitcher on the Varsity Softball team. She has been playing softball since she was four years old. She says she has a passion to commit her time to softball and is currently being scouted by Sonoma State University, North Dakota University, and University of Mississippi. Maddux is known for having a strong left pitching arm.

Coaches strongly believe that Maddux has a great future ahead of her.

“I believe she has a strong opportunity of going to the next level,” said Coach Duane Zauner. “She has a really strong arm and has great work ethics.”

Maddux explained how softball slowly became her passion.

“I started softball when I was four years old,” said Maddux. “My dad had a really big influence on me getting into softball. He used to play professional. Softball has really shaped my life. I didn’t really want to play anything else.”

Kaitlyn’s sister, Brieana Maddux, has always been a big supporter in helping Kaitlyn to achieve her dream.

“I do support my sister in her softball career because I know she is very talented and I want her to carry it into college,” Brieana Maddux said. 

Brieana said she shows her support for Kaitlyn by being at as many games as she can. She agreed that Kaitlyn has a bright future ahead of her in a softball career.

Arielle Koerber, a senior and pitcher for the Bear River softball team, praised Maddux’s  skills.

“She is a really good and well-rounded player,” she said. “She’s a really good pitcher and outfielder. … We talk about colleges, phone calls. We talk about how to email colleges and work on acceptance letters.”