Bruins view COVID-altered Club Rush as successful

Bruin students and staff gather around a table to purchase some treats. Photo by Madison Meilinger

This year’s Bear River’s annual Club Rush planning wasn’t taken lightly by Leadership as additional precautions were carefully implemented to combat any COVID-19 worries. 

Matt MacDonald, Leadership supervisor and Activities Director, described the process of planning compared to previous years.

“This year took more planning than ever before,” he said. “We were extremely cautious to make sure we could hold a safe and fun event. Our officers were in countless meetings to make sure we met all the standards and requirements.”

Kaedyn Harrison, a senior and member of Leadership, further elaborated upon what had changed about the event.

“Club Rush was run differently this year because it had to be done on two days, one day for each cohort, instead of one day at lunch. It was also different because instead of being at lunch in the quad like normal, it was after school in the parking lot.”

She continued, talking about what the most difficult aspect to plan around was. 

“The hardest part about planning it was making sure we took all the precautions necessary to make sure we followed COVID guidelines,” she said. “We had to make sure every food item was pre packaged, everyone had gloves and masks on, and there were lines with people six feet apart.” 

Some students spoke to the lengths leadership went in order to ensure a safer event.

“As I am working on both days of Club Rush and observing everything, I believe the health and safety precautions were abided to the best of our abilities,” said Junior Alexa Tran. “Of course we mandated masks, social distancing, and sanitation, but students definitely pushed those limits even at school, and especially for an event that occurs after school. However, I do believe that Club Rush was executed safely.”

In conjunction with Club Rush, students would be able to leave class for the event ten minutes early if they brought a canned good. Senior and ASB President Klaire Wolford explained the reasoning behind this additional condition.

“We did that to support our canned food drive we are doing until November 3rd!” she said. “We thought it would be a fun way to encourage kids to bring cans.”

Harrison brought light to her thoughts following the last day of Club Rush.

“I do believe the event was a success and that we had the best outcome we could for the circumstances we were under,” she said. “We didn’t have as many clubs participating as normal, but that was expected because of the difficulties the clubs faced to be part of Club Rush.”

As a Bear River annual tradition, students expressed their beliefs that, even through COVID-19, events such as these are crucial to continue.

“Club Rush is a very important tradition to Bear River to get revenue for organizations and promote the clubs,” said Tran. “During this  time of uncertainty, leadership really worked hard at making changes to Club Rush to fit guidelines and meet expectations. I know a lot of students enjoy Club Rush, and it’s some sort of a breath of fresh air.”