Softball star catches prestigious scholarship

Arielle Koerber, a senior Girls Softball player, received a scholarship for Wagner College in New York. Photo by Brandon McGinnis

A Bear River student’s softball prowess has earned a home run scholarship to a Division 1 college.                                  

Senior Softball Pitcher Arielle Koerber has received a 90 percent scholarship to Wagner College in New York to play softball.

Koerber talked about the travel team that she plays on and what she has to do to be prepared for softball.

“I play on a travel team based out of Elk Grove. …” she said. “My team travels all over, to like Los Angeles and Oregon. This summer we are going to Kansas City for a tournament. I also have to work out everyday to stay in shape.”

Koerber also talked about how Wagner College noticed her.

“They first started recruiting my catcher and they flew out to a tournament in Southern California to see her,” she said. “When they were watching her, they saw me and then they told my catcher and I to come on a visit and they’d give us an offer.”

Koerber expressed what a relief it was to commit.

“It’s a big relief after I verbally committed because I finally achieved something I had been working for since I was six years old,” she said.

Another college also offered a scholarship to her, but she turned it down in favor of Wagner.

“Humboldt also offered to me a month before I went to Wagner, but after I came back from Wagner, I said no to Humboldt and yes to Wagner,” Koerber said.

Principal Amy Besler also had a few things to say about Koerber representing Bear River at a D1 school like Wagner.

“Arielle’s outstanding scholarship opportunity is, first and foremost, a result of her incredible academic hard work and determination as well as her athletic talent, skill, and effort over many years,” Principal Besler said. “I certainly do feel that Bear River has given her the training, guidance, support, encouragement, and coaching that has helped her achieve this accomplishment. We are so proud of Arielle; she is an excellent example of what can be accomplished with the combination of initiative and a Bear River education.”