Bruins find athletic outlet through off-campus sports

Sophomore Maya Bussinger plays pick-up soccer with friends. Photo by Daniel Bussinger

Sports-starved Bruins, faced with delayed seasons and COVID-19 disruptions, are getting their athletic fix in a variety of ways outside of campus.

Sophomore Maya Bussinger participates at an indoor soccer venue known as Samba and gave some insight on how it’s evolved during this challenging time.

“We have to wear a mask as we walk in the door and get our temperature checked with a temperature gun,” Bussinger explained. “The side of the building is like a garage and all of the doors are rolled up for ventilation. We don’t have to wear masks while we play, though.”

Junior Ana Hamilton, who does competitive cheerleading, described the changes her gym has made in recent months to align with the new safety standards. 

“The gym was closed for a while,” Hamilton said. “We couldn’t stunt for a long time and we are required to wear masks.”

Julia Pisenti, a fellow junior who engages in track and field, shared what she misses the most about club sports preceding the pandemic. 

“This pandemic put an end to my season last year. I was able to compete in one meet, but sadly it was canceled soon after,” said Pisenti. “What I miss most from before the pandemic was the environment sports brought. I loved going to meets and getting to hang out with my teammates all day. I miss having crowds cheer us on while we competed. I hope we can get through this soon so we can go back to normal life.”

Hamilton expressed a similar sense of nostalgia for pre-pandemic life.

“I miss everything being normal [and] no one having to worry about getting sick by just doing everyday things,” Hamilton said.

Senior Madeleine Pratt also shared what she misses the most about sports from before the pandemic. 

“…I miss the teams, I miss… the girls and the guys and just everyone, and playing with people I know and getting to [have physical] contact and stuff… not just conditioning and swimming,” Pratt said. “I miss actually having scrimmages and getting to play with contact and the ball and everything. I enjoyed that.” 

Kyle Houston, a fellow senior, shared a forward-looking development that has come from these changes. 

“I play some club basketball. This opportunity has opened because of the pandemic, because high school ball is getting postponed,” said Houston. 

Pisenti also expressed positivity in the midst of all of these difficulties; She is using her free time to train and grow stronger in her chosen sports, for when things eventually return to normal.

“I was able to go to a private coach where I was able to start pole vaulting all summer,” Pisenti said. “I’ve been working there every week to train and just get out of the house.”

With as frustrating as these alterations might be, Bussinger expressed her gratitude that these clubs and activities were still being held despite all of the challenges. 

“I’m glad we still have some variation of both club and school sports, even with the complications,” said Bussinger.