Bruins try on glass slippers

Fairy+tales+are+becoming+a+reality+thanks+to+Bear+River+theater.++Photo+by+Sarah+Noah+
Fairy tales are becoming a reality thanks to Bear River theater. Photo by Sarah Noah

Don’t be late to the ball and the Bruin production of Cinderella. Bear River is creating a film of Cinderella.

Sara Noah, the director of the performance, is also the theater teacher.

Sara Noah when asked how performing during covid is said  “The stage musical version we were originally going to do costs about $3,000 for the performance rights alone (which doesn’t include sets, costumes, etc.), so I decided to save some money and do an original version of the story to film,” she said.  “We were not able to do a play this year because we do not have clearance to have an audience, so we will post a movie on our website for streaming at the end of April. I wrote my screenplay version of the story over Christmas break.  We’re still using music, but I have used Public Domain music (which means no copyright) and wrote my own lyrics.”  

Junior Allison Whiting, the main character, gave her feelings about her role in the play. 

“Being the main character in this show has been such an honor and has been very fun. Cinderella, to me, is such a wonderful character who has a large heart and never gives up so I am very excited to portray her in this version,” she said. “However, with every large leading character in any show, it comes with a lot of responsibility but overall it has been a really great time so far and I am very excited for this show.” When asked how she liked being the main character in the film.

Mrs. Noah described many details of the play.

“Everyone has a part. There are 12 actors in the film. It is a traditional, fairytale version of the story, but I have added a few twists of my own. I hope you all enjoy our original version of ‘Cinderella: A Fairytale Film,'” Noah said when asked if everyone has a part in the play.. 

Senior Geneva Hemmert explained how she liked being the Fairy Godmother.

“I am playing the Fairy Godmother, and I’d like to think we are practically the same in many ways. She’s very caring and cautious with how she handles herself and how she interacts with others. Like her, I love to be there for people and will work to do what I can in order to help. However, she’s very directed and sure of who she is and what she’s doing, which I look up to as a great characteristic.” 

Students also shared what it meant to them as participants in the performance.

Whiting said “It means you get to be a part of such an amazing show, full of fun characters, wonderful music, and you get to perform a beautiful show for everyone. It also means you get to not only get closer with the rest of the cast, but grow into a small little show family.”

Senior Emily Adamson said “This is my first time ever being in a play so I don’t know any difference. My best guess is there is a whole lot less zoom in a normal production.”