Band continues to march on

Band practices must meet COVID-19 guidelines. Courtesy Photo

This year, Bear River has been switching between distance learning and hybrid learning models, and the band has made significant changes to the manner in which the class is taught as a result.

Senior Noah Dunhower, one of the band’s drum majors, elaborated more upon what had changed in the band program this year.

“Band has completely changed this year,” said Dunhower. “Since we’ve barely been able to meet in person, we haven’t been able to do very much. We usually just go over songs online and learn them ourselves, which isn’t as practical as learning them as a group. Band is a collaborative experience with a focus on teamwork, so when that’s taken away, it just doesn’t go well. It’s unmotivating at times, but we’re hopeful that we’ll get more done when we’re back on campus.”

Junior Joshua Kors also noted the importance of teamwork in band, explaining that these changes have affected his experience in band.

“In previous years, band was much more interactive and time consuming. Obviously with longer classes, but more so with extra activities like marching and pep band,” said Kors. “These changes have affected my musicianship by severely limiting my growth.”

During hybrid and distance learning, some students aren’t able to practice their instrument at home as it causes a disturbance with their other family members who are also working from home, such as Sophomore Erynn Burcham.  

“I can’t really play my instrument at home because it disturbs my family,” she said.

With the transition into hybrid learning, the band has high hopes to be more involved. According to Dunhower, the band is planning on organizing future performances this semester, whether that be in-person or virtual. 

Erik Romero, a senior, described what his hopes are for this semester.

“What I’m hoping for is to play at a concert,” he said. “We have one concert on May 21 and we are hoping to do it in-person.” 

Some students have struggled this year with maintaining their self-motivation in school. Kors commented on why he has continued with band despite the stark contrasts in the way the class is typically conducted.

“I continue with band despite the current situation because I hope that at some point we will return to some normalcy. Then, the work I’ve put in so far (though minimal due to the circumstances) will pay off,” he said.

Junior Oliver Meyers also explained his motivation behind playing with the band throughout this year.

“I enjoy the band because I learn lots of interesting things when playing a new piece of music. For example, what famous band group played it or who wrote the music,” he said. “I continue with the band because I remember something my grandma told me once that I will never forget. She told me that no matter how hard something may be, just push through it and you will succeed. So, that is why I continue band: I want to succeed no matter what the problem is or how hard it is.”