Bruin football kicks off new season with 20-9 loss

After months of delays and uncertainty due to COVID-19, the Bruin football team participated in their first game of the season against Nevada Union on March 12. Photo by Maya Bussinger

Bruin football tackles a new season with their first game held on March 12 against Nevada Union High School with a final outcome of 20-9 loss.

Athletes and fans alike were psyched for the football team to be allowed to participate in a game, and despite the loss, are looking forward to upcoming games.

Junior Ryder Holcomb explained the team’s effort in preparing for a season over the last few months.

“We have been practicing for around nine months,” said Holcomb. “At times, all we could do was condition and just stay in shape for the opportunity of a season. There were several changes throughout the time leading up to our first game, with the risk of not having a season at all always there. The team still practiced hard and we never gave up, so we were pretty well prepared when we played under the lights.”

Senior Ryder Kiggins described his personal routine in preparation for the game day.

“Before the game I just sat down to relax my body and become mentally prepared for the game while listening to music,” Kiggins said. “I like to talk to my teammates and go over certain plays and make sure they are prepared or have any questions.”

Senior Jacob Ayestaran expressed a memorable moment from the game.

“The overall highlight our team had was our over nine minute drive that led to a touchdown,” he said.

Holcomb conveyed a different point of view on the high point of the game.

“I think the highlight of the game was actually just walking down to the field,” said Holcomb. “We had some great plays and amazing runs, but I just feel like being able to go down to field level with nothing stopping our game from happening that night was pretty special to the team.”

The audience in the stands was limited to parents and staff members for safety reasons, which was a different experience for players and cheerleaders alike.

“Cheerleading at this game was different in so many ways,” said Senior Cherish Humble. “The most changed thing was the audience; there were about 50 people in the stands which is very different from previous games.”

“There was a very, very small crowd in the stands as it was just cheerleaders’ parents and the football players’ parents,” added Junior Ana Hamilton. “Nonetheless, we were still very excited and grateful to be able to come out, cheer, and perform!”

Senior Warren Davis expressed his point of view of the small crowd from the perspective of a player on the field.

“It’s weird because normally it’s hard to not hear the stands but [this time] it was hard to even hear them,” he said.

Kiggins explained the COVID-19 safety protocols the team was required to follow.

“Physically the game was different since we had to wear masks until we put our pads on but also [the lack of fans] was weird,” said Kiggins. “Obviously following the rules for COVID-19 is serious and we don’t want to lose anybody on the team.”

Ayestaran added that he didn’t find the COVID constraints very limiting.

“I didn’t notice any major differences with the COVID restrictions,” he said. “Once we’re out on the field it’s a free for all, just how football should be played.”

Ayestaran further explained how it felt finally having a game after a year of delays and changes.

“The game didn’t even feel real at first,” said Ayestaran. “It felt like a dream running onto the field.” 

Holcomb expressed the excitement the football team gained having their first game of the season and the hope for many more successful games.

“We might have lost the game,” he said. “But I think the team had a blast and are chomping at the bit for the upcoming Fridays.”