Take a swing at Softball tryouts

Juniors Lauren Glomson, Gabrielle Royston and Rachel Setting condition for softball tryouts. Photo by Jared Pittsley

Bruin softball players are swinging their way into a new season.

Bear River coaches are calling for all past and incoming softball players to attend the tryouts that will be held on the varsity softball field on Monday, February 11 and Wednesday, February 13. Junior Varsity and Varsity players are also preparing for the season with conditioning sessions being held during Bruin Times and after school.

Past softball players are hyped about starting the new high school softball season.

“My dad is assist coaching for the Junior Varsity team and I am really excited about that,” said Katrina Enke, a sophomore.

“I am excited to be with my friends and play as a team,” said Taylor Borges, a junior. “I am also not excited because it takes up a lot of time after school with work and homework.”

Mallory Borrego, a junior, expressed her feelings on the new Varsity coaches.

“(I’m) very excited to start up with McCullough as the new Varsity coach and the assistant coach Leana Williams,” said Borrego.

Freshmen softball players are also eager to start their first career high school season.

“As coming into high school softball, I am excited for more competition and being able to play softball again,” said Tressie Costantino, a freshman.

Kailynne Van Winkle, a senior, reflected on how she thinks the new season will unfold, compared to last year’s season.

“I think that tryouts and the upcoming season will be more laidback because McCullough is not as intense as the last coach and since it is his first season as head coach,” said Van Winkle.

Varsity Coach Steve McCullough commented about how he feels about the upcoming tryouts.

“It is a very nice group of girls trying out,” said Coach McCullough. “I have known every one of the girls so I feel that this is a good time to take over as the new head coach.”