Patriots win sacks Bruin hopes for Falcons victory

NFL fan Wyatt Bosworth, a junior, shows off his Raiders beanie. Photo by Jacob Thrasher

Many Bruins were rooting for the Falcons to touchdown on a Super Bowl win. More than anything, Bear River staff and students hoped to see a career-busting game for New England, but the Patriots won the game 34-28.

Principal Amy Besler was not feeling too hot about the teams in the Super Bowl, however she said she was still excited for the February 5 game.

“I feel terrible about the teams in the Super Bowl because they are not the Cowboys!” said Principal Besler. “Seriously though, I think it’s a great match-up. The Patriots represent the dynasty team — they have an incredible history of excellence over many years with this coach and quarterback. The Falcons represent the up-and-coming; Matt Ryan, their quarterback, has been incredible this season and they are exciting to watch. I’m hoping for an excellent game!”

Junior David Aldrich, short and to the point, expected a good game from both teams.

“Good match up, it’s going to be a high scoring game,” he predicted. “Tight match.”

Coach Scott Savoie and Varsity football player Austin Baze, a junior, both shared their dislike for the Patriots.

“I’d like to see the Falcons win because I really don’t like the Patriots,” said Coach Savoie. “Sometimes I tend to root for the underdog and the Falcons haven’t been in the Superbowl for a long time. I respect the Patriots but they have been caught doing some not-so-hot things and I don’t like that at all.”

“I wasn’t surprised when the Patriots got into the super bowl, but I was surprised when Atlanta was able to make it,” said Baze. “I would really like Atlanta to win because I really don’t like that Patriots.”

Principal Besler and Coach Savoie both agreed that this part of the football season was all about the food.

“Super Bowl time in my house is mostly about the food,” explained Principal Besler. “My family loves the classic junk, like 7-layer bean dip and spinach dip, anything you can put on a chip works! My son will be pacing and yelling and stressed out… I will be calm because my team isn’t playing! My husband will just be there, because he’s Canadian and likes hockey more than football.”

“Super Bowl is not much different than any other Sunday or Monday night,” elaborated Coach Savoie. “My wife is a crazy, crazy NFL fan and usually knows more about what’s going on that I do when it comes to the NFL. We snack it! It’s like a tailgate party in our living room; she makes all kinds of snacks and I just love it!”

Baze believed it’s the commercials that bring viewers to the Super Bowl.

“I know not everyone watches football during the actual season but when the Super Bowl comes everyone pretty much watches it,” said Baze. “And not just for the Football, but for the commercials.”

Bruins said the Super Bowl season brings people together for fun traditions.

“I think there’s a lot of people who watch the Super Bowl who probably don’t watch any other football,” said Coach Savoie. “It kind of gets us all talking about the same thing that’s not necessarily life or death or politics; it’s just gives us all something to talk about that’s just for fun. We need that, because sometimes we just get to dang serious.”