Bruin soccer starts off season with high hopes

Senior Tanner Roberts practices hard during his last soccer season of high school. Photo by Maya Bussinger

As the soccer season kicks off, Bruin players aim for a goal striking season.

Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, the soccer season, originally in the winter, has started up this spring. After waiting months for the sports to open back up, eager soccer players are thrilled to be back on the field. 

Assistant Girls Soccer Coach Mike Lyman shared how this soccer season has differed from previous years.

“We’ve filled the roaster with 16 players which we are excited about,” Coach Lyman said. “We have strong players in all our major positions. We have two senior goalies, Kylie [Scaglione] and Olivia [Lyman]. We have a solid mid and attacking positions so we hope to score more goals this year. Last year we only scored one.”

Coach Lyman also shared the difficulties COVID-19 has imposed upon athletes, but has hope for a great season despite the setbacks. 

“We’ve expected that practices would be hit and miss with players due to multiple sports happening and we also anticipated that some of our games and practices would be cancelled due to COVID,” he said. “We had to cancel a few games already, but still have 5 games scheduled.”

Overall, Coach Lyman has high hopes for the season and is excited to work with his new athletes.

“Soccer has been great,” Coach Lyman said. “We’ve had a great turn out of new players this year. We only lost one senior from last year, so our younger players are stronger and better.”

Senior Josie Booth also shed a light on how soccer season has been going so far.

“Soccer has been both fun and hard at the same time,” said Booth. “All we are really doing is conditioning, but the team dynamic is fun to be around. We’re able to do our usual warm-ups. We’ve also been able to scrimmage against the boys.”

A few players from both the girls and boys teams shared their opinion on their favorite parts of soccer. 

“My favorite thing about soccer is being able to play with my friends that I’ve been playing with my entire life,” said Senior Tanner Roberts. “It’s amazing to be able to have one last season with them.”

“My favorite part has been having everyone at practice because together we can always seem to make it more fun by telling jokes while still getting things done,” Junior Emma Jackson added. 

Booth built on these comments, emphasizing her enjoyment of soccer practice.

“So far my favorite thing about this soccer season has been our scrimmages against the boys because it’s helping us grow as a team and practice against a team instead of doing drills,” said Booth. “My favorite thing about soccer in general is that it provides an outlet that includes both running, kicking, and sometimes yelling.”

Of course, with every sport, the teammates have goals and anticipation for how their season will go.

A couple players share what they hope comes from this soccer season.

“During this soccer season, I hope that we are able to demolish Colfax, have a successful season, and the seniors have a meaningful and memorable final season together,” said Roberts.

Jackson expressed a simpler wish.

“I hope that we can win a few games and overall just get better while also becoming better friends,” she said.