Live performance shines spotlight on dance program

Dancers practice one of their pieces that will be showcased during the live performances being held this week. Courtesy Photo

After a year without performances, Bruin dancers are eager to leap back onto stage during the ‘Dance Visions’ show this weekend to show off their progress to the community.

Performances will be held on June 3-5 at 5:30 p.m. with an additional performance at 2:00 p.m. on June 5, ‘Dance Visions’ will showcase choreography from both student and guest choreographers featuring a variety of dance styles. Community members are able to purchase tickets at bearrivertheater.org or at the door at $15 for adults and $12 for students and children. However, due to COVID-19 safety restrictions and guidelines, seating is limited and audience members are expected to follow mask and social distancing protocols.

With such an unprecedented and unpredictable year, Dance Teacher Gaby Blaney described the program’s journey to finally being able to organize this dance performance.

“We were nervous if [the show] wasn’t actually going to happen, so it has kind of been like a day-by-day situation,” she said. “[Administration] approved us to do it in the beginning of this month so we were just going to film if we couldn’t do it in-person, but luckily they said that we could do it [in-person].”

Dancers all shared a similar excitement to finally show the community their abilities and love for dancing after this rough school year. 

“The thing I’m most excited for is to just perform,” said Maddie Turner, a sophomore. “I’ve only got to perform once this year which is why performing in the show this week is something I think all of us are excited for.”

“I’m most excited to just perform for a live audience and see my dances come to life on a stage,” said Senior Alexa Tan.

“I am most excited to get to be on stage again!” said fellow Senior Klaire Wolford.

“I’m [most] excited just being able to do it,” said Freshman Selena Jensen. “I didn’t think we would get this opportunity this year, so this is awesome!”

With many of these dance performances, there is typically a constant theme that can be seen within all of the choreography showcased. That being said, Junior Alexa Tran elaborated more on the flexibility of the show this year.

“There is actually no theme to this show!” she said. “Especially with the crazy year we’ve had, the program wanted to keep it just an ‘Evening of Dance’. All of the pieces are different, but come together to form an amazing show that embraces the love we all have for this art.”

During ‘Dance Visions’, many of the dances spotlight student choreography. Tan, who is a student choreographer, spoke towards these students’ abilities to form a beautiful show.

“I think as choreographers we all did an amazing job of exploring many different styles and themes in our pieces,” said Tan.

Following such a challenging school year, Mrs. Blaney spoke towards the dancers’ grit during this time, expressing her admiration for them.

“I’m just super impressed by them [the dancers]. Their resilience and their ability to push through and learn these pieces when we’ve been on Zoom,” she said. “It’s just really strange circumstances and they have really grown as dancers throughout the year. I’m just really proud and grateful to be their teacher.”

~Allison Whiting contributed to this report.