Bear River offers free lunches to all students

Since lunches have become free, the lunch line has grown greatly. Photo by Alec Hartman

Free lunches are becoming popular amongst the students at Bear River High School which everyone is able to get. The program started last year due to COVID-19.

With lunches being free, it is not unusual for the lunch line to become very long and with the line being long kids usually cut. 

This became a concern for Freshman Macy Martin and Freshman Ethan Edwards.

“The line is very long,” she said.

It all seems good,” He said, “Except for the darn cutters in the line.”

Although Edwards thought that the benefits outweighed the benefits. 

“The food makes it worth the wait,” commented Edwards. “I think that it is very special that we can get it for free, it’s gas (great) food.”

Freshman Chase Creel gave high praise for the quality of the school lunch.

“They even have pretty good sauce. The taco sauce is pretty lit,” he said, “the only concern I have is not enough taco sauce.”

Although, why are all the lunches free? Principal Roberts gave a detailed explanation.

“The decision to have all school lunches free was a result of a decision from the Federal Government providing monetary support to all public schools in the Nation to allow for all students to receive a free breakfast/lunch. Funding has been provided as part of COVID relief package,” Roberts said. “I think it’s a great decision and a great opportunity to help out many families who are struggling financially right now. One less thing for families to worry about. Even if it means my tax dollars are going to fund something like this, at least I know that it’s benefitting our students in our community.”

The plan is for the free lunches to last all year. Even when the snack shack opens September 7th, you are still able to receive free lunches in the MPR.

Many students are very excited about the new program.

I think the free lunches are pretty lit and I quite enjoy it being free.” Creel said.

Edwards held a similar view.

“It’s great!” Edwards adds on. “Everyone loves it and it gives everyone a yummy lunch.” 

Roberts even thinks that the school lunches are very delicious thanks to our fantastic cafeteria staff.

“Benefits are clearly free lunches for all students,” Roberts said. “Not just those that can afford it or are already on a free or reduced lunch program. Have you tried one of our lunches? Our cafeteria staff is amazing in the delicious meals they prepare and provide for our school! In previous schools I’ve been at, I can count on one hand how many lunches I have eaten. At Bear River? I average about 2-3 school lunches a week! They’re the best!”

Roberts ended with a stern warning for wasteful students.

“The only concern I have is students either not taking advantage of the free program or, even worse, students wasting the food they’re provided,” Roberts adds on. “Please only take what you can eat and don’t waste the food you’re provided.”