Clubs kick off

+Club+rush+was+held+as+a+fundraising+event+for+clubs+and+to+raise+awareness+about+them.++Photo+by+Sara+Tate
Club rush was held as a fundraising event for clubs and to raise awareness about them. Photo by Sara Tate

With Bruins starting to settle into the school year, clubs are ramping up their momentum as well. 

Many students in clubs have big plans for the year.

Junior Olivia DesAutels, President of the hiking club, was enthusiastic about sharing what she is looking forward to doing. 

“Hopefully we are going to go on some hikes and teach people the importance of responsible hiking and the leave no trace principles, which are both super important in order to increase people’s knowledge of nature and how to respect it,” she said. “That’s really exciting.”

President of the DnD Club, Senior Aden Mattson, was interested in possible new members joining. 

“I’m really excited to play with new people and a group I haven’t played with before in DnD. I’m just excited to have fun with my friends,” he said.

Senior Alexa Tran, the president of Key Club, is glad to be able to do the club in person. 

“I love all the aspects of this club from the meetings to volunteering opportunities, and we missed most of those last year because of Covid,” she recalled. “I am probably most excited for the Talent Show and the Senior Lip sync.”

Club activities enhance the Bruin experience for most students.

“I think that it is fun to be with fellow students doing something for the school. It’s a good way to hang out with people and get to know some teachers,” said DesAutels.

Mattson held a similar view.

“I think it’s important to be part of a club because I can connect with people I share interests with!” he said.

Tran related to Mattson.

“Being a part of Key Club is important to me because I really value community and volunteering for our community to create cohesion and change. It’s a great outlet for service, leadership, and friendship.”

Club members and advisors thought that other Bruins should join their clubs for a variety of reasons.

Tran noted community service is important for students to take part in.

“Other students should think about joining Key Club because it’s just a fun, positive, and easy-going environment. Although helping our community is the most important part, Key Club can also count for volunteering hours for Senior Projects and looks good on college applications,” she explained. “We are welcoming to everyone and would love all the help we can get. If someone has any questions they can totally ask me at school or through email, or pop in at MacD’s G1 room at lunch Tuesday 9/14!”

Key club advisor Matt MacDonald added on.

Key Club has been the longest-running club on our campus. Its primary focus is service to the community. We work with the Kiwanis International club and local non-profit agencies to serve our area in a variety of ways. We are excited to continue our relationship with SYRCL, the Hospitality House, Child Advocates of Nevada County, Operation Christmas Child, Adopt a Family, and many other agencies.”

Mattson felt that his club offered a fun experience.

“DnD is a really fun game even for those who don’t know anything about it. Dnd is a really fun way to connect with other people on a deeper level, as well as building social skills and creativity,” he said. “Many believe you need to be creative to play DnD, but in actuality, DnD just makes you more creative.”

DesAutels cited the outdoors as a reason to join the hiking club. 

“It’s a great way to get outside, get some exercise, hang out with friends, and connect with nature. People should join!” she exclaimed. “We need to get our numbers up and it will be really exciting if we get a big group of people with us. Email me at [email protected] for more information.”