Water polo confidently returns to the pool

The water polo team works on their verticals during practice. Photo by Sara Tate

Varsity water polo has found their flow early on in the season; the boys in the pool have played a couple games, and it is safe to say that they are off to a great start with a current 4-1 record.

The entire program is filled with really great athletes, and Coach Glasgow was handed a great set of boys who are looking to bring home some hardware and a banner this season. 

So far, the water polo games played this season have not yet counted as league games, but with their recent non-conference games against Rio Linda and Oakmont, they have made quite the first impression in the pool.  With much practice and adjustments, varsity is looking at a very promising season. 

Senior Harrison Alexander expressed confidence in his team.

“I’d like to say we are strong contenders for first place in our league,” Alexander said. “The teams we are facing in preseason may not provide enough preparation for teams we face in our league.” 

Alexander stated that the competition in Bear Rivers division can get tough, but the relationship of the varsity team is a very natural dynamic, and the team hardly ever has any disagreements and functions very smoothly. 

Facing their first loss on Thursday, September 23rd, against Ponderosa, really gave them a slap of reality. Playing big schools like Ponderosa is a big jump from what water polo has been familiarized with in preseason. 

Junior Jacob Sutherland provided some insight about the team’s loss. 

“Ponderosa is really well coordinated with their teamwork” Sutherland stated. “They are very in tune with the game of water polo.” 

Sutherland also explained that Bear River had trouble with countering Ponderosa’s offense due to how quickly they were able to maneuver. He said that there were many “dirty moves” performed by Ponderosa that went unnoticed by officials under the water.

Senior Ryan Downs provided a spotlight to some excellent players at school and in the pool. 

Downs specified that senior Matt Grimes has shown outstanding defense for varsity, and that Jacob Sutherland has provided a very aggressive arm that has significantly supported their offense. Downs also noted that with everyone’s combined effort and desire to get better, it is very easy to keep everybody motivated and working hard. 

What will come for this exciting group of athletes? As Bruins finish up the sixth week of school, Bear River sporting events are becoming more and more influenced with the spirit and pride from parents and students. 

As players get deeper into the season, their strive for success only grows and the anticipation for playoffs remains on their mind.