Bruin swimmers kick off season

Bear River students practice their backstroke. Photo by Jared Pittsley

Swimmers are racing to get meets started during the 2017 season.

The Girls Varsity team is trying to have a repeat of last years’ PVL win and boys are excited to get back in the pool to hopefully bring home a trophy.

Coach Ethan Green has been coaching Bear River’s swim team since 2010.

“We will do great, there’s some improving to do on both sides, but we have a great group of swimmers,” said Coach Green.

Athletes pointed out the benefits of joining the swim team.

“Its super fun, swim gets you in shape and you can also get a good tan,” said Stuart Wenger, a sophomore.

“Its definitely a team sport, you get a nice family inside of the sport,” said Maggie O’Callaghan, a sophomore. ”In the process you get in shape and have a lot of fun while doing it.”

“It’s so much fun and you get a little tight family,” said Jessica Craig, a senior.

“Yeah, its really good, the coaches know what they are doing because they have done it for years and they’re really good at,” said Tylar Swiderski.

Athletes and Coach Green expressed the need for more players on the team.

“We don’t have to tryout , you just show up and practice hard, we need more girls and guys to have a good team,” said Wenger.

“We need a full team for playoffs and for the whole season we really need swimmers,” said Craig.

“You can get in shape while, we really want to have a strong team for PVL’s,” said O’Callaghan.

“We really need more boys and more swimmers but we have a good group,” said Coach Green.

Coach Green gave key points that both teams need to achieve to go far in PVL’s.

“We need to improve with the girls and the boys team: for the Girls team, it will be fun to see the mix of new players and old, plus they get the chance of defending their PVL title and the boys will need to improve but have a good chance of getting a win this year.”