Frederickson Steps In To Help Bear River

Eric Fredrickson has joined the Bear River family to help during Principal Chris Roberts’ sabbatical. Photo by Maya Bussinger

Story by Jaydah Montgomery and Maya Bussinger

Throughout the years at Bear River High School, students have met and been supported by their principal, Chris Roberts. 

Recently, Roberts has had to step out of the principal role for personal reasons. Bear River High School now has Eric Fredrickson who has kindly stepped into position and has helped take over until Roberts is back with us full time

Roberts is here on Tuesday and Thursday, and Frederickson fills in on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. 

“Eric had reached out about my situation, and asked me what he can do to help,” Roberts said. Roberts had taken some time and decided to take a step out of the position and asked Fredrickson if he would like to step in, and he immediately accepted the request.

Fredrickson has had a long history with the school district and has experience with being a principal and superintendent of many schools. Fredrickson has been a superintendent for the Grass Valley school district, superintendent and principal at Union Hill and he had been an assistant principal at Bear River High. 

“I’ve really been enjoyable meeting the students,” Frederickson said. “I used to work at the high school level, but most recently middle school and elementary, so it’s enjoyable coming back from retirement. 

“I just retired last June. I haven’t been retired for quite a year. I’m just doing three days a week until the end of the school year.”

Fredricksons’ job on campus is mainly to help vice principal Cathy Peterson. He has been a great help, and is mostly concentrated on helping kids with their attendance and being a helping hand. Students and staff at Bear River have seen that Fredrickson is a great help, as well as seeing him be involved at the school — whether it is out on the campus during lunch or just being a friendly figure around campus. 

“He is filling a role that is extremely valuable to our school,” Roberts said. “And that is to have kids feel safe and to have that presence at our school.”